1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM on a 99 Dakota. Questions.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by j&hsnowplowing, Jan 11, 2012.

1. j&hsnowplowing

j&hsnowplowing Junior Member

Hey folks,
    I recently acquired a 99 Dodge Dakota. Its the v8 5.2l 4x4. It also came with a Minute Mount that was previously on a Toyota Pick-up. Unknown of the year of that truck. After modifications the previous owner was able to make it work on a 99 Dakota. Now for some questions.
    1.) When everything is plugged in the Headlights on the plow are on. But in the cab it says that the High Beams are on and i cant shut them off unless i unplug the plow. Any ideas?
    2.) Sometimes when wired in and I turn the hazards on every light on the truck flashes. Both headlights and turn signals as well as the turn signals and headlights on the plow. Is the Dakota a 2, 3, or 4 Relay system? I have it as a 4 but the problem from question arises in this.
    3.) If i shut the headlights off and turn them back on with the plow plugged in. The plow lights don't turn back on it switches back over to the truck lights. Once i unplug it and plug it back in they turn on again. Any ideas on this as well?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nick

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a real hackjob to me. If those interior lights are flashing like that, then I'd have to say there is a bad ground somewhere and its sending power to places it shouldn't go.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Absolutely, it's gatta be a hack job.

How many connectors at the grill? What modifications are you talking about...specifically?

4. j&hsnowplowing

The Modifications pertain to the plow frame. It was extended becuase the push plates on the Toyota and the plates on a Dakota are different. The frame had to be widened to fit onto the push plates. Professionally done so its no hack job by any means. Nothing was actually modified when it came with the plow. Its a 12 pin connector coming from the plow. I have a 12 pin wiring harness on the truck. All OEM Fisher parts. Nothing rigged in someones garage. I started tampering with the wiring myself and got into a mess when i switched wiring and those lighting issues appeared. But i cant for the life of me remember the original setup that was working at the time.

5. j&hsnowplowing

Also its not the interior flashing. All the lighting that would be on or flashing is all external. Nothing within the cab itself. Theres also going to be 2 connectors at the grille. 1 is the wiring harness for the lighting and cab controls. The only is providing power to the pump/motor.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Let me just pick on you for a second, then I'll help ya.......

Holy contradiction Batman! Can we get a picture of this? I gatta see this for myself...seriously, I'm intrigued.

Ok, now that it's out of my system.....

What do you mean when you say you "switched wiring"?

This might help you in understanding where what goes.....or is supposed to go. My only fear is that the "installer" may have used the wrong wiring, which would complicate things further for you.

relay.jpg

relay.jpg

7. j&hsnowplowing

Thanks. Ill look into that schematic. I have another that may work as well. AS for images on the plow frame I will take some. It will be hard to show before and after has none were taken before the modification was done.

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

That's alright, I know what it's supposed to look like lol.

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes the Dakota mount is a wider width than the toyota. I'm assuming someone cut th headgear of the plow and widened it to fit your truckside mount. My Dakota had a 7'6" plow and could not fit onto the headgear of the 6'9" and 7' Light Duty plows.

10. j&hsnowplowing

Yes thats correct. I said plow frame earlier but i meant head gear. It was cut at the bas and widened using thicker angle iron. I will get the photos of it still tomorrow or friday depeneding on the weather situation.