1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM II Jack Won't Level Plow

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Ricksterv, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Ricksterv

Ricksterv Junior Member

I just bought a MM II plow set up for a f-250 SD. Everything works well but when I take the plow off the truck the headgear seams to fall backwards towards the truck. It stays on the jack but the cow catchers fall down. I can push the head gear and get them to go up but when I go to connect the plow they just fall down again, I have a block underneath it now but I'm sure that I 'm missing something here, maybe some sort of an adjustment with the chains?

2. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

i dont think theres much you can do about it. be careful unhooking i've got 2 nice dents in my hood from it falling back.

3. bersh

bersh Senior Member

When you are disconnecting the plow, after you drop the jack push back on the headgear to engage one of the higher slots with the rod. After that, pull the lever to unhook the main pins. It should balance on it's own as long as you're on fairly level ground. When you go to hook up lean the headgear forward a bit and balance it so it doesn't fall back. If you're knocking it around too much when you go to hook it up it can fall back into the hood if you're not careful. The biggest thing is to have everything as level as possible, even if that means dropping one side or the other on wood blocks, or dropping the jack onto a wood block.

4. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

OK, Boys, When you pull your pins, disconnect the wires, Now you are ready to back up. Slightly pull the head gear toward the plow and Hook The Safety Chain. Now the head can't pull back into the hood. Don't feal bad, did the same thing years ago. Only thing is when you hook back up, unhook the safety chain to get your pins in. Good Luck.

5. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Safety chain?

My MMII doesn't have a safety chain, only the lift chain.

Also, just thought of something regarding my note above. When you pull the jack release handle, slightly pull the pin release handle back but don't disengage the pins until you push the headgear forward and get the jack locked on one of the higher holes. Once the jack is secure, then pull the pin release all the way to retract the pins.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd been doing it this way for three years. Then my dealer saw me do it and said it would be easier to get the plow on and off if I left the stand a little loose. Hogwash! I tried it at home, took me forever to mount up the next time. I'm back to getting the jack as tight as possible.

I have never hit the hood. Newer MM plows do not have a safety/travel chain. Maybe the pull down cable is strong enough to keep it from coming back?

7. stillen

stillen Senior Member

no safety chain on mm2's...............

as for the OP

drop plow, pull grab handle to drop jack, push head gear towards truck, lower lever to dis engage pins, dis-connect wires...... back up slowly....... just do it nice and slow..... the jack should drop to the correct height to keep everything level....

mine tilts back a little when i back up, but not enough to fall or crush anything on my vehicle..

8. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

The safety cable/spring should keep it from falling back that far... I also keep the lift raised a little to take the slack out of the cable and hold the headgear up- I just have to make sure I connect the cables and hit float before pushing the headgear up to engage the pins.

Be careful about trying to get the jack as high as possible- I've had issues with it. If you have less weight in the back of the truck (so the truck's front is lower) or the ground softens there may be too much pressure on the jack's pin to pull it out. I have a dirt parking area a slight rise on the edge where I leave the plow... If the jack doesn't snap into a hole, i lift it so it goes to the next lower hole.

Just my $0.02...

9. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Thats what I do too. I lift the leg with my hand so it goes up to the next looser hole. I also put the jackleg on a piece of wood to prevent digging in.

10. Ricksterv

Ricksterv Junior Member

Maybe I didn't explain my situation quite right, the jack seems to slide at the bottom towards the plow as to make the cow catchers drop towards the pavement, now if even if i line up the ears to the catchers when i hit the catchers the jack slides on the pavement and make the catchers lower so the head gear tilts towards the truck, (but doesn't hit the truck) and the cow catchers drop towards the pavement.
    I hope I explained it better
    Thanks
    Ricksterv

11. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Sounds like your safety cable isn't adjusted properly???? The headgear shouldn't be able to fall backward (away from the plow) you can push it foward (toward the plow) to adjust slightly when lining it up.

12. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Do you have a cable running from the headgear to your plow????

13. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Nope on the spring cable being strong enough, i almost died the other night when the plow on the DMAX almost hit the hood when i was pulling out of it! And my 97' has a dent in the hood from one time when i forgot to put the safety chain on to keep it from falling back....boy was i mad! I will be figuring something out to keep the MM2 from falling. It wasn't a problem during the fall and summer when i had to move it around as the soft soil indented a little bit with the jack keeping it in place but when doing it on ice or a wood block it falls backwards.

I should also add, it falls backwards A LOT more when i don't take the time to get the jack to the tightest level before backing out, i think the jerking motion of the jack dropping down after pulling out of the mounts is what causes it to fall backwards.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe after you get the pins out, you could take the slack up on the chain before unplugging?

15. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

I would be ******** to no end if my plow fell into the hood of my rig and dented it. That can't be right.