1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

MM fluid change question

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by robertpkerrsr@h, Nov 11, 2010.

1. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

The last time I changed the fluid in my 8ft. MM plow I drained the fluid from the bottom of the pump. I was only able to get three out of the four quarts back in. Should I be draining out the pistons and the hydraulic lines also??? Just curious, what is the proper way to change the fluid in a MM plow.

Thanks for the help.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Drain reservoir. disconnect hoses (put both ends in a plastic bottle), move plow by hand left and right. Reconnect and refill. Make sure the lift ram is fully compressed so you dont overfill.

3. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

Thanks, That sounds easy enough.

4. FordFisherman

from 06611

After refill, move left and right once, and up and down once. Let the plow sit for a few hours to let the air bubbles settle, then open the fill slowly and top off the reservoir.

5. mansf123

mansf123 Senior Member
    from mass

I just changed my fluid but did not unhook the hoses and move the plow left and right. I just drained the reservoir and filled her back up. Will this cause a problem?

6. FordFisherman

from 06611

no, it shouldn't. Lots of people do it that way, but if theres any moisture in the system from condensation it could potentially freeze up.

Robert, you may want to pull the motor, change the filter, and wipe out the reservoir also. Good time to clean up the contacts too.