1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mixing Tire Brands

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by watatrp, Sep 22, 2014.

1. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

Would there be any problems with mixing tire brands on a plow truck? I have an F350 dually. I have Khumo tires on it now. Good traction for plowing but they wear way too fast. I have approximately 75% tread left on the rear and only 30% on the front. Would like to move to the DuraTracs on the front for this season and then get new for the rear next season.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't, but that's me.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Won't hurt anything unless they are different sizes

4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Wont hurt a thing My Dually has different brands and wil have different traction
    I always run the summer tread in the back They wear better with the load I have in the V box I run a Snow tire on the front

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

some will tell you, you'll be fine as long as there the same size.

if they mean the same size # that is market on the tire.
    well folks, tires from different brands, you will find that one Co's tire will be 2" bigger or smaller in diameter from another brand of the same size.
    and if one is worn and another is new they could be 3" of difference.

next, what is equally as important is to have
    the same load range. example, you wouldn't want a "D" tire to get in with your "E" tires

6. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I always match on the same axle. Fronts match, and backs too. Same size all around.

7. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

The tires I want to install have the same load rating as the ones I have on the rear of the truck. I also looked up the factory spec diameters of the two brands and they are 2/10" different. Since my rears already have some miles on them I would guess that the diameters would be fairly close. I just hate spending $1300 for six tires vs. $400 for two when I still have plenty of tread left on my rear tires. Thanks for the input.

8. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You're fine man. I do it everyday

9. exclusive

exclusive Member

On my dually all tires on back are same and the 2 up front are same I run at2 on back and ht up front

10. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I think after you get multiple trucks you stop caring about little things like that.

I'm happy if they are the same size and hold air.. If they have no tread, add more weight....

11. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member