1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mixing salt & Calcium Chloride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BD Exteriors, Jan 20, 2010.

1. BD Exteriors

BD Exteriors Junior Member

I am fairly new to the ice management side of snow removal and have some questions about mixing salt and calcium chloride. I have been spreading strait salt for the whole season, and I am looking for something with a little bit more bite, I'm wondering if adding a 50lb bag of calcium chloride per yard would help? or how many bags per yard would help?

And also would that keep my bulk salt from getting hard on the pile or in the v/box?

Or any other recommendations would be helpful

thanks

2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

salt freezes when below 15 degrees if it has moisture in it so as far as keeping it from freezing in the vbox make sure you don't store it outside loaded. Try and store bulk material inside so it stays dry, as the more moisture you add the more likely it will freeze. it is is frozen adding a lil dry calcium will help, but not very well, and certainly not as much as liquid.

3. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Heres my $.02
    Mix up some calcium chloride liquid and spray your salt pile, its easy to do.
    I can spread salt for 2 weeks straight after a storm, so I leave my truck fully loaded, all the time, covered of course, never had salt freeze in the hopper unless it gets wet with the cover off, Then I just spray it down with CC and good to go again. The liquid will give your salt more bite.

4. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

"How cold are the temperatures that I'm dealing with?" should be the first question answered. Cal will help when the temps drop, but if they're mild it's not to going to show a major improvement over straight rock.

Treating with liquid cal is seldom a bad idea, but I'd save it for when temps drop.

5. BD Exteriors

BD Exteriors Junior Member

thanks for the help. Is there a formula for how much liquid calcium chloride that you would spray on per yard of salt?

6. deicepro

8 to 10 gallons per ton

7. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

At a previous employer we treated our salt with magic for a couple seasons, after that we went to straight MagCl, worked really well, never had a frozen spreader, though we also never left salt loaded overnight, we did commonly load hours and hours before salting.

We make or own brine for a couple sites, it is salt brine sweetened up with 250lbs of Peladow per 1000 Gal, would treating our pile with this mix aid in freeze-up or the chunking we get, our salt has been sitting for about 2 weeks since our last event, we double tarp currently, after our coverall frame was too small for our new bin we're exploring options, trying to decide whether to "stick build" something or buy a 30x ?? coverall. Anyway, without good protection we find a min
    6" thick "crust" over the pile.

8. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Last year I sprayed my bulk salt pile with 8 gal/ton. I would use less, maybe 4-6 gallons/ton if I were to spray it this year. JMO

9. 1daniel1

1daniel1 Junior Member

calcium pellets

If you are not able to or don't want to pay for the liquid calcium, you can like you said mix pelletized calcium with the rock salt for better performance at sub 15 Farenheit temps but you would have to add a bit more than a 50lb. pag per yard. When temps go really low, we mix at a 6/1 ratio of rock salt to calcium and the performance is great.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Will windshield washer fluid do the same thing? If you spray the liquid on a load in the V, does the liquid work its way down to the bottom?

11. deicepro

I have heard that it does, never tried it.
    If its really cold and my sand freezes overnite, I will take a couple 5 gallon pails of cc and dump them in the middle of my spreader, it will leach down