1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mixing magic salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SnowPusherVT, Nov 10, 2010.

1. SnowPusherVT

SnowPusherVT Junior Member

i seem to remember reading on here that mixing magic salt with sand being a bad idea, but figured I would check again cant find it in search.
    I have to have some sand/salt mix, because of dirt drives I plow, I think Magic straight would thaw to much. and would have a strong chance of being over applied (i know me):D
    Basically I would like to mix magic instead of reg salt so it doesn't eat my truck.
    (magic or similar, I'm not stuck on brand)
  2. Mix your salt with the Magic and then with the sand....Spraying straight sand .....hard to do. Sand is usually too wet...
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've tried it all and found for your purpose, mixing Magic Salt with sand would be an unnecessary expense. Just get some straight bulk salt and mix with the sand at a 1:10 ratio. All you're trying to do is keep the sand from freezing (clumping). As far as the Magic -0 to keep the salt from damaging the truck; this won't work as you're thinking, really, because the moisture in the sand will dilute the Magic on the salt. You might try mixing some Magic -0 (the brown liquid stuff) with the sand. That does REAL GOOD at keeping the sand from clumping. I did that one year and was very happy with how it turned out, but it drives your cost way up. It also avoids the equipment damage from the salt. Again, the only thing it's really doing it keeping the sand from clumping.

EDIT: My sand was dry.