1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mixing Liquid De-Icer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Chopper0912, Feb 4, 2007.

1. Chopper0912

Chopper0912 Junior Member

I have been looking at different things to mix to make a small batch of Liquid De-Icer. I have done a search and found on an really old post that you mix 1.8lbs of MgCl2 to 1 gallon of water and you will come out with a mix of 21.6%.

So my question that I can't really find is, what is the correct WAY to mix the two together. Do you just put them in a bucket and stir them up for a while or what is the best way to do the mixing. I just want to make a really small batch of a couple gallons to see how well the mix will work. I did some looking around I found a bag of MAG Flakes for about $20. Cost not a problem just don't want to spend a ton of money for a really small batch to check it out. I thank you guys in advance for your time and information. I know we are all hoping that the Eastern Coast get some snow soon. Thanks again.

2. J J Landscaping

J J Landscaping Junior Member

J J Landscaping

Chopper0912 - I,m trying to learn just like you. I mixed a 2 gal batch to see how it worked were i am. ( 3 lbs. Calcium Chiorde Flake ) to ( 1 gal. water ). It,s between 0 - 20 above at nite here and this mix has worked very good so far. You should get some very good answers from guys that do use liquids alot. look in ( ice management - I Have a Question ) threads. I,m still looking for my answers in there.