1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mixing Cal, Mag, etc. for Liquid De-Icing??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lawnprolawns, Jan 2, 2009.

1. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I have a question about mixing ratios for liquid products.

When a product is say..

30% calcium chloride
    5% magnesium
    3% potassium

What are those percentages? Weight? Molecules? Volume?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

not sure what the Q' is......but it look's like a 38% chloride solution,...should have a specific gravity of ~1.35 and a weight of ~11.6lb/gal

or maybee youre answer is.......% per volume,....not weight

does that answer youre Q?..........

PJ

3. lawnprolawns

That might answer my question. I wish I remembered what specific gravity was.

How about this, to put it in simple terms for someone like me who got a 60% in chemisty..

If I had one gallon of water, or 8.3lbs of water, how much calcium chloride would I want to add? And would I measure it by weight, or volume? Sorry.. I ought to go do some research.

4. powerjoke

a little less than 3 pound's.......but when you add the 3 pound's you'll remove some water (hence the reason "a little less than 3 pounds"

when youre done,.......weigh a gallon of it in a milk jug, and it should weigh 11.3# plus the weight of the jug, wich is basically nothin,

i would suggest either buying a hydrometer for about $50 or buy a $10 digital fish scale so you can weigh youre milk jug..:D work's great

hope this helps

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Ok have done the math here you go on dry to H2O
    CaCl2 - 2.8 lbs pe gal H2O=33%
    MgCl2 - 1.8 lbs per gal H2O =21.6%
    NaCl - 2.5 lbs per gal H2O = 30%
    So about 3 lbs per gal Of H20 gives you better than 30%
    Now add that to the weight of water and you have pounds per gal.
    Dump a 50 lbs bag of what ever to 150 gal of water.....

6. lawnprolawns

Thank you both.

7. fernalddude

Now remember you are going to start a reaction when you add the both together so be ready for some heat in the mix tank and you need to stir this so some type recycle pump or mixxer...

8. powerjoke

lol,......yeah techniacally there will be some heat,......it will be verry minor,

in a perfect reaction, there is only 250BTU per pound,......that is not enough to "feel" .....depending on water temp and how fast the calcium disolves, it probabaly wont even be enough heat to warm the water but just a couple of degree's

it's not going to melt down youre plastic tank lol

PJ

9. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

PJ i got who it was on here, but they said they weremixing calcuim flake in water... and it got "HOT" and he was surpirsed at the amount of heat produced

i dont know if he confused WARM with HOT...but thats what was stated

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

From my expeirence the tank does get pretty warm, as you can feel the heat it produced. You should always add water first then the chemical and the heat is nothing to worry about though.

11. powerjoke

i cant say that i can really argue one way or another.....When i make my solution, i use a hot water power washer, so it is already pumping out almost 250* water,......but at 250 btu per pound x 50 lb of CaCl2 it would only be 11,500btu......and that little of amount of heat can not bring too much warmth to 150 gallon of water.

anyway's one thing is for sure, it wont melt the tank :rolleyes:

pj

12. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

what are you going to use this liquid for ?? Pretreat, melt snow, or pre wet salt ? and for 150 gal of water at 3lb/gal dont you need 450 lbs??

13. lawnprolawns

Mostly to treat lots and subdivisions after plowing, and some pre-treating. And yes... it seems that 450 lbs would be correct..

14. fernalddude

DUH cant even do my own math my bad too many :drinkup::drinkup:yes 450 =150 gal...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  15. powerjoke

lmao......don't feel bad, i missed it too....hell i even done my math off of youre's and didnt catch my mistake or youre's lol

oh'well......maybe the tank will catch on fire and melt the truck then :rolleyes: haha

pj

16. fernalddude

OMG What if we made that batch last nite and applied it then had to explain it :dizzy:

17. lawnprolawns

Well if that happened, you would have saved a lot of money in de-icing. And had not so good results.

Funny.. I read the 50/150 thing and thought "sounds good" Didn't catch it.

18. powerjoke

We need more solution lmao..

kinda like the ole joke 'bout the farmer that was telling another farmer, that he is just not making any money buying corn for $1.50 and selling it for $1.50........"we need a bigger truck"

PJ

19. SnowMelt2006

SnowMelt2006 Member

Here is the correct percentages and amounts:

To Make 1 gallon of 32% Solution Using:

83-87% Dowflake Xtra - 4 lbs
    Water - 0.8 gallons
    Solution Density - 11.01

To make 32% using 77-78% imported calcium flake:

Calcium Flake - 5 lbs.
    Water - 0.8 gallons
    Solution Density - 11.01

20. lawnprolawns

Grrrrr. I cant seem to get 150 lbs of salt to dissolve into 55 gals of water. More mixing and circulation? I also cant get a gallon of water to weigh more than 9.5 lbs.. no matter how hard I try. I'm kind of stumped. Any others doing this?