1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed results in Indy

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by lucky4511, Dec 17, 2008.

1. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

We salt 10 commercial lots all around the city. We started salting yesterday in preperation for freezing rain - some before the event, some during and some after with not very good results. We used approx 800lbs of rock salt to cover approx 3/4 of an acre total lot area. Cal chloride for walks. Anybody else have similar results or any suggestions?

2. JLO

JLO Junior Member

That amount of salt, in 1 application, would not keep up with, or melt down afterward, what you experienced overnight on the 16th

3. Indy-South

Indy-South Junior Member

Horrible night on the 16th. We salted everything early evening and then again in the early morning hours. Our commercials got 2 applications at a min. Even properties treated at 1 am had to be hit again by 7 am. That freezing drizzle would not go away. We used bagged, bulk, thaw master, avalanche, it didn't matter the product, we couldn't keep up no matter how good we thought we were. Several properties had to be hit again this morning.

4. Gettindirty

Gettindirty Member

I salted just before it started to come down. I use straight salt and had great results as the day time temps hit 39 yesterday. Good drainage helps.

5. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

Yeah, we went back out again the next morning as well. The route is pretty spread out and by the time we got to some of them they were much improved. That said, I think that we prob didn't use enough product first time through. Thanks for all of the responses. My son has done snow removal with a buddy, this is our first year on our own and the whens and how much of salt has been the biggest question. Of course, in central Indy we haven't had plowable snow yet.....:dizzy:

6. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

We had no issues at all........every location was checked several times and found to be "wet" with some reports of light slush in some small spots. We also pretreat with a liquid deicer as long as the surface is dry when applied. We do this several times during the winter season for our no-doubt customers and it really works for the icy, non snow events.

I would recommend that if you are a contractor in Indiana that offers "de-icing" or "anti-icing" services that you educate yourself on the use of liquid de-icers.

KH

7. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

I will tell you what. That ice storm that we just had last tuesday... That sucked! Most of my parking lots got salted twice and they still sucked until people started to drive on them. We may not have used enough salt, but with having 5+ saltings before the first day of winter... we are conserving salt. I just ordered another 6 skids from lesco today. Hopefully we will be good for the rest of the season... We will see though.

8. lucky4511

lucky4511 Member

Yep, we did everything twice on Tuesday as well....then we went out today, Tuesday again! and salted everything again! Of course by 9 pm it is pouring down rain and warmer, but we take care of 10 day care lots/sidewalks and just couldn't wait for it to warm up. Maybe I just don't have such a good memory but it sure seems to me like we have had an above average amount of ice this year so far.

9. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

CT...check those prices at Lesco !!!! they raised prices like $1.50 a bag as of Wed. might want to go to lowes....

10. big schmitty

big schmitty Member

I use a deicer with calcium potassium and sodium it is more expensive but you can charge more. I applied 1 time after it started and I was done. It also leaves a residule on the pavement so the next snow or ice event is easier to remove.