1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mixed reports on a 99 Ram 1500

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Banger, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Banger

Banger Member

So, I have another truck in my fleet of junk and with that said I was thinking of buying a new or newer plow for the 99 ext cab 5.2 SLT Laramie. Its a 1500.

So I called around and got mixed reports. A few said that the truck cant have anything on there but a mid- weight while others say there isnt even a listing for a commercial blade from Western for my truck. And one seller said it can have a commercial Ultra. I'm confused! All sellers are establlised and reputable!

One guy said its because of the axles while another guy said its the suspension that limits it. Now.. I thought Rams had some pretty beefy axles being Dana 44's and 60's and also I have a 3-4" Suspension lift on the truck with bigger and better shocks and suporting mods..

Question:
    who is right and what are my options with my truck and its mods?

I see Uni's on these trucks all the time. Is there that much of a weight difference from a older 7.6 Uni vs a 08-09 7.6 Western?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice on this.

Edit.. BTW.. Is the frame on a 99 250 different from that of a 1500? Would mounts off a 250 fit a 1500? Just curious!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  2. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

As long as you run ballast in the back, and take care of the front end it should be ok with a 7 1/2ft commercial plow. Basically everyone on here will say run Timbrens on the front suspension but with a front lift im not sure they would even touch anyways.

Yes its a 1500, but they have a solid front axle like you said its a Dana 44 i believe in the front. There are plenty of that year ram 1500's that are proving worthy with commercial plows on them. Good luck