1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mitsubishi Fuso 6 Cyl

Discussion in 'Import and Other Trucks (Light Duty)' started by mas3372, Jan 29, 2008.

1. mas3372

mas3372 Junior Member

Hello,

I am picking up a Mitsubishi Fuso this weekend with 6cly turbo, 2wd,14 flatbed, 22 1/2 inch tires, 23000GVW. It's on the larger side for the Fusos. I will be using it for my power washing in the summer and take the Power washer off for the winter when I hope to plow and sand with it. I was told by the person selling it and a few others taht it will plow no problem with 2wd and the wieght of the sander. One of the local towns actually uses just fuso 2wd to plow. My questions are these. I am looking for somre more opinions on using this to plow. second, how difficult is it to mount a plow to the Fuso.

2. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

You will have to do your own fab work on the push frame. I was looking for a new V plow but they only manufacture push frames for the FG 4x4. Dealers do not want the responsiablity for liability so they won't do fab work anymore. How long is your W/B? Mine is a FE HD with a locker and short W/B. Pushes like a tank on flat ground.

3. mas3372

mas3372 Junior Member

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. The wheel base is about 140 inches. How much fabrication is needed? A real hassel for straight foward. Also, excuse my lack on knowledge when it comes to trucks, but what is a locker?

4. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

The rear axles lock, kinda like a posi, only better. Also, what plow manufacturer is more install friendly and how do you wire it.
    Thanks, Tom

5. mas3372

mas3372 Junior Member

Tom, thanks for the definition of a Lock. Any idea what kind of money that costs to have added.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I have 2 Chevy W4500 (isuzu NPR) Pretty much the same as a fuso. (I had one (Fuso) I had to retire it with 320000 miles)

I plow with these trucks and totally love them.

It wasn't a problem fabricating a mount, the hard part is the wiring.
    Luckily my plow dealer is has excelent electrical/fabrication guys.

I use my trucks in a commercial removal application only. No residential anymore.

Gene is right though these trucks push like tanks or bulldozers. Just unbelievable amounts of snow.

One suprizeing thing is how high you cam stack snow. With the front wheels so far back and the plow so far foward. Its got wonderful curb clearance (Almost 4 to 5 feet on a standard pick up) (By curb clearence I mean Foward reach.

So good luck with the Fuso.

Peterbilt

7. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

what do you think is the better truck, the chevy or the fuso... I've been lookin at both... Gotta love how fuso has a dedicated 4x4 tho... is it that much of an advantage?

8. gene gls

4x4 is always nice to have. A 2008 Mitsi 4x4 with Fisher V, dump body, and back pack is listed at $ 49,500 at my Mitsi dealer.

9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Yes 4x4 would be better. But in my area Mitsubshi has terrible service. Due to no dealers.
    And I have a isuzu dealer about 20 miles away.

Both brands have their advantages.

The fuse seemed to have more low end power and a smoother ride.

The isuzu's/Chevy's Have nicer cabs,

But everything else is the same with theses trucks.

Peterbilt

10. gene gls

A locker may not be available for your size truck. I have a bunch of questions to ask next time I get to the dealers, and that is one of them. I would like to step up to a 19,000 GVW. There has been a lot of changes in the last few years, its confusing trying to figure it all out.

11. mas3372

mas3372 Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the help. My next step I guess is going to try to put a plow frame on it. I called around and it seems everyone thinks it's going to about a grand just for the fram and another 500 to mount it, plus the plow, wire harness, etc. I searched google and here to find out what some did so maybe I can do it myself but no luck.

12. gene gls

Pick out a plow you like and go talk to your local dealer. Most manufacturers make customizable push frames for commerical trucks, 14,000 + GVW. My local Boss dealer told me that my front end is too small for a commerical push frame, even thou my GVW is 14,500. I have not seen any of the commerical push frames to compare. My Boss dealer is new, so he may not know much about the commerical push frame. Same with the Bizzard dealer, he just shook his head no. There are several cab-overs in my area that plow and they are not all 4x4's.

13. doh

doh Senior Member

Have a dealer for a little while anyways

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120172584463929557.html?mod=AutosChannelMain_RelatedStories

14. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

well After reading the WHOLE article. It says nothing about commercial sales.

They are only talking about cars.

Peterbilt

15. gene gls

I asked a dealer at the trade show yesterday. Lockers are available up to the FH model, around $ 500.00.

16. mas3372

mas3372 Junior Member

I'm getting an FK17, do you know where that falls in the range of models?

17. gene gls

FK is next to the largest size, 26,000 GVW. Lockers are for the FH and smaller size. What does the 17 stand for in your model number?

18. mas3372

mas3372 Junior Member

I have no idea what the 17 means. Thanks for the info. Can't wait to pick the truck up.

19. gene gls

With your size truck,140" W/B, you will be limited to only plowing larger areas. I would suggest finding a plow dealer that installs on commerical trucks, such as your local town highway dept. They should have a good idea as to how you should go about your selection of plows.

20. mas3372

mas3372 Junior Member

I messed up on the wheel base, it is actually 120" but I will still be constricted to lots or bigger. Driveways will be tough.