1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mitsubishi Cabover...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bighornjd, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

There is an older Mitsubishi cabover for sale locally and the more I drive past it the more I think it would be a great addition to grow my business. I'm looking for another plow rig and i want to move to bulk salt, so I've considered a 1-ton dump or similiar. I already have a 32k gvw dump but I would like something in between that and a pick-up.

I don't know what these things go for and can't find many for sale to compare. I can't remember the year but I'm thinking it's pushing 10 yrs old or more. It is 4x4, 4 cyl turbo diersel and has a manual tranny. Has a Fisher V-plow on it and Fisher under tailgate spreader to go on the low profile aluminum dump bed (has wooden side boards currently as well). Has 140,000 miles and they are asking $9500 but it's been for sale a little while so betting they might come down.

I've already read all the threads on here about them and it seems like a good fit for me. I'm just not sure if this is a good deal or not. Truck is well used but not a POS from what I can tell. The biggest complaints I see with them seem to be ride quality (won't be driving it all the time and I have plenty of other rough riding old trucks, so I'm used to it), low GVW (don't need it to haul heavy, i have my big dump for that), low power (so do my other trucks, i'm not into racing) low top speed around 65mph (my big dump tops out at 55-60mph so it's still an improvement) and the manual tranny (i will be driving it myself mostly and prefer manuals). Other than that, it sounds like it would be everything I noticed that i like about it. Great visibility and tight turning for plowing, good traction, and good fuel mileage.

I do roofing in the summer and usually use my dump truck for the tear-off shingles, but then it is tied up doing that for a day or two and not available for other work or to move my skidsteer. I could use the cabover for the shingles or also to move the skidsteer occasionally if needed. I also frequently haul debris, brush or other material on my landscaping trailer which sucks because I can't dump it off and the dump truck is sometimes too big or too tall to load by hand. I think this truck would be perfect. I was thinking about a dump trailer but for what they cost, you can't push snow with them and then my pickup is tied up. Only downfall is extra insurance and registration costs, but I think the benefits would be worth it. What do you all think?

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

A few guys locally love those trucks, at a previous employer we had a GMC cabover 5500, was WAYYYYYYY underpowered and 2WD but I was pretty sure with some wieght in the back it would plow just fine at least on flat ground.......I never got to find out as nobody made a mount for it and the boss wasn't into the fab idea. Anyway I later saw a cabover 2WD Mitsu pushing snow and doing pretty well. I say go for it, but do your due diligence and ask around other forums, maybe lawnsite, walk into a Mitsu truck dealer with a box of donuts or a box o Joe and ask the guys who have to fix em what to look for, even better offer one a hundred bucks to check it over for you, then you'll at least have a good idea of what you're getting into. And maybe a source for repairs without having toi pay some ******** $100 ++++ per hour dealer labor rate.

3. wewille

wewille Senior Member

I've had the opportunity to work on several of the mitsu cabovers. They arnt a bad truck, but parts can be very very hard to get and extremely expensive. Parts usually have to shipped in, the dealers never have parts in stock because ive never seen a specific mitsu dealer. All the dealers that carry mitsu also carry other brands, like mack trucks. So I would stay away from it. Maybe look into an isuzu if you want a cab over. They are good trucks and generally parts are cheaper and easier to get. In fact most chevy truck dealers carry isuzu trucks(the gmc version of Isuzu) In my opinion I would stay away from the mitsu's, especially since you are looking at an older one.(parts are even harder to get) There are much better trucks out there with far better parts/service support.

4. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Looked it over a little better today. It's a 2000 model with a 12000# gvw. Plow is a Fisher 8.5' Vee. The Fisher spreader looks to be in pretty good shape and the aluminum dump bed is 10.5 ft long and about a foot tall but has ability to take wooden side boards all the way up for a total of 5 ft. Could hold 12-13 yards with the tailgate extended in the back. I needs a little cleaning and TLC, paint needs touched up on plow and frame has some surface rust that needs cleaned up and painted. Other than that it looks like it would be ready to go. I called my insurance agent and got a quote for S&G's and it wouldn't be much at all - much less than I thought. I'm really starting to lean towards making an offer on it... I think it would serve my needs well. Will let u know and post pics if i decide to go for it.

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

My uncle had one of those. Its a FUSO if I'm not mistaken, It was a good truck for plowing (he had a 9' fisher straight on his), it pushed a lot of snow. He liked it because the pile is right there and its a lot easier to spot curbs. It did have its share of electrical problems though, sometimes you would ease into a pile or tap a curb and the thing would just quit and a few minutes later all power would be restored and it would start again, it ate block heaters, and wouldnt start with out them. I plowed it a couple of times and it takes a little getting used to. Oh yea, Its hard to find parts for it at the local parts store so be sure to have a dealer near by

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

12 to 13 yards of styrofoam LOL... with a 12,000 gvrw... heck, a F-350 has that LOL

7. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I know the weight capacity is low. I don't need it though. I have other trucks for that. If i wasn't thinking about this truck i would be looking at a F-350 or 450 at the biggest. I could do the same with this truck as I would with a f-350 only have a shorter truck, better visibility, and better fuel economy, likely for less than the cost of a similiar setup f-350.

8. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Hopefully i dont annoy you, I just want you to know what your getting into with this thing. But you should look into where you will get parts for this thing if you buy it... Like i said before they can be very hard to get. You may be better off with the f-350 or 450, parts are everywhere, relatively cheap and will last much longer. In the long run i feel the mitsu will cost you more than that extra visibility is worth. The fuel economy should be very comparable. And yes to get a nice f-350 set up similiar will probly cost more upfront but just wait until you do your first brake job on that fuso. It wont be cheap! The low price now will not be worth all the hasles and extra expenses in the future.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  9. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

Inspect the frame for rust. Also the truckerf@ckers love these......