1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Missing snow when plowing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by joeco129, Feb 3, 2007.

1. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I bought a 2004 F350 in November and it had a Western 8 ft plow on it... The truck had a 2" suspension lift on it when I purchased it and they told me I would have to shim the plow to get it on and off... No big deal. I shim it with a 2X4 under each foot and it works fine connecting and disconnecting. The problem is when plowing if I go over a slight crest or hill in a driveway the plow (fully lowered) lifts off the ground. We just had our first plow-able snow here in Connecticut so I just experienced two driveways where I missed maybe a 5 foot section of snow because of this crest or arch or hill in the driveway. I am guessing it its because of the lift on the truck, even being only two inches, seems enough that the plow will lose contact for a bit. Depending on the hill, arch of it and so on... The F350 is a long bed extended cab, so I am sure the wheel base adds to it...

Does Western make and adapter to lower the whole frame for a lifted truck?... If so, it would fix the problem and also rid me of shimming the blade for mounting and dismounting. Any help or advice is appreciated...

2. LD4850

LD4850 Member

Just give it a few more links on the lifting chain.

3. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I spoke to someone, who install here in CT for a Western dealer, when I first got the truck, to give it a quick look-over and they told me they usually set the chains between the 12th and 14th link when the plow is down.

So your saying lengthen them? I had thought about that but wasn't sure if it would mess anything else up. Will it? Will it effect the height when traveling and the plow is up? Will the plow hang too low? Again, this is my first plow so everything is new.

How do I know where to lengthen them too? and how much is too much?

Thanks, Joe

4. ChipsEarthWorks

ChipsEarthWorks Senior Member
    from CT

Joe, It should not affect the height while up that much, being you have a small lift you will need to extend the chain to let the plow follow the ups and downs of the drives,lots you sre plowing. Just extend it by two links and you should still be fine. The lift will also help keep the plow higher to. By the way how much did you get? Down in shelton we got nothing for snow but a good deal of ice.

5. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

We had about 4 inches... i am in Windsor, just north of Hartford. Almost near Bradley airport. This winter has been terrible hasn't it?

If I was missing 3.5 to 4 inches of snow on a slight arch, do you think two links is enough? I parked the truck over the spot to look at it and the blade was at least 4 inches off the ground. Again on flat surface I am fine... How would I know if I went too many links? What would be the outcome? Can anything bad happen from too much slack in the chain? From the free ends of the chains I am hooked on the 12th link on both sides right now.

6. Trueduelz

Trueduelz Junior Member

as long as you can raise the plow off the ground youll be fine but it will take longer to tighten up the chain when on flat surfaces. When you get to these properties cant you just add links to get the crest done? it doesnt really take to long

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be afraid to experiment with the chain length a little bit, it wont hurt a thing if their a little too long (just wont lift as high) and your already experiencing what happens when their too short. Like the other guys mentioned,add a little extra slack in the chains and give it a try.You can always move them again.

8. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

thanks for all the help guys... I appreciate it... I'll play with it tomorrow... hopefully it will snow again this season.

So, from what i am gathering... and correct me if i am wrong... when my blade is down, there should be some slack in the chains, right? Someone from my town told me they should be completely tight... but if a hill break downward in front of me the blade is going to be off the ground, correct???

I was up about 3 to 4 inches both time when I got out to look... figuring a link is a little over an inch... adding 3 to 4 should do, wouldn't you say?

thanks again...

ps - any of you guys had some real snow this year? Usually New England has great winters... not this year... hit 60's in december and one day 70... crazy! Now it's cold but no snow except the 4 inches the other night...

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try 2 links first and see how it work's. 2 links will change the travel of the blade MORE than 2 inches..(it's not a linear measurement due to the angle of the chain). Yes there should be slack in the chains when the blade is on the ground and the lift arm is pushed all the way down.Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out.

10. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

I'll keep you posted... One of the driveways I had trouble on was my brothers house, so I will swing by there and check it on that exact spot... I'll let you know...

Thanks!

11. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

One more question... When I put the blade down with the controller... in the float position, should also be able to puch the lift arm down more, manually by hand? Or just with the controller, then adjust the chains?

Sorry so many question, but it's my first plow that I have owned that came with the 2004 F350 I just bought. The guys at the dealership were of no help once I paid them for the truck... Figures!

12. ChipsEarthWorks

from CT

Yes , if you push the lever all the way forward, or in the down postion you should be able to push the lift arm down till it wont go any more, Make sure the lift arm is all the way down before ajusting your chain other wise it will not come out right.

13. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

So lower the blade, then get out and push the lift arm? I swear I have tried to push it and it won't budge. Could that be another problem or adjustment needed?

When I hit down on the controller joystick, which also reads "float", the plow drops as soon as I touch it... Do I need to continue to hold the joystick down to release the lift arm? Or once the plow is on the ground it sould be good to puch down manually?

14. ChipsEarthWorks

from CT

You should be able to push down on the lift arm once you drop the plow. I belive(not sure as my fisher doe not have a float postion older stly hydro) If you hold the lever forward or down then you activate the float system. But i could be wrong.

15. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Thanks, I'll try it.

How far does that arm go down? Will the piston close completly? Or will i still see some of it?

16. ChipsEarthWorks

from CT

You should not see any of the piston ( the silver part) you will still see the part that connects to the lift arm, but no silver part, that should all be inside of the piston housing( usally the black part around the silver part)

17. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

Great, that's what I wanted to know... no chrome showing... Right now the plow is off my truck... should I be able to push it down now?

18. ChipsEarthWorks

from CT

No it has to be hooked up to the truck to push down, I know with the older style fisher hydro plows ( like the one I have ) it makes it easier to take off and put on if the piston is all the way down it allows the chain to have some slack in it which helps to move the head gear to assist in undoing the pins. Not sure yours works the same there are some diffrences.

19. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

NO you will have to connect the electrical connections and put the plow into float mode. This basically leaves the down valve open.

20. joeco129

joeco129 Senior Member

ok..cool...that's makes sense... I guess that's why I couldn't push the Lift ram down before... plow was not connected... yeah, I'm an idiot... haha... thanks guys...

Great website... just registered a few days ago... without it I'd be lost...