1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Missing parts

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rmartini27, Oct 26, 2011.

1. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

I picked up my new 8'6" XV, after the honeymoon stage where I would just stare at it with a grin on my face. The installation instructions for the plow were missing, after being directed to their location by Kimber750 I noticed that the cable, strap fork, clevis pin, and cable thimble/ cable clamps were missing. The spring that connects the cable to the frame is there and was attached to the chain. I was wondering if the cable is being omitted from the plow frame. Also which stacking stocks do you guys use, it would seem to me that the higher the plow is allowed to go the better it would be. My hydraulic unit came semi assembled the unit has fluid all the hoses are in as are the rams, do I need to do anything to the hydro system? I know I may have to adjust the quill but aside from that. As for the cable, my last plow was pre minute mount so what is the purpose of the cable? I add some pictures for your enjoyment

I Know there is a lot of questions there but if anyone is up to the task it's you guys

Thanks for your patience,
    Rob

024.jpg

005.jpg

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Cable is still showed on the updated parts list. so You're missing it. and Should get it makes disconnecting and connection plow easier when the spring and cable pull the lift cylinder down for you. Thats really all it is for.. saves having to get out and push it down before removing the plow..
    Parts #41, 42, 44,45,46 is all the parts for that section..
    http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/44226.17_071511.pdf

As for the stacking stops. The shorter you can go the better. but you have to watch that your trip spring on the back of the wing, does not want to hit your hydrualic pack (mostly in the Vee mode when raised)... Fisher had a few issues with that and ended up elimating their shortest stops. Some people have made their own to get that extra clearance and height....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

The plow came with two stops I didn't measure them but one is about half the size. When I get it on the truck I will put it through the motions and see if the small one will work

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Go with the short ones.

Call the dealer on the Retracting Spring Assembly, they'll most likely just send you one out.

5. fordpsd

fordpsd Senior Member

I went by a fisher dealership the other day, and was looking over a brand new plow that he had installed on a costumers truck and the spring was attached the same way as pictured above. I asked him about it and he told me that he did not receive the cable and this is the new way they are doing it. Not sure how reliable that information is seeing how he is a new fisher dealer.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

It's mostly just a matter of working out the bugs with Fleet Flex...The hoses, fluid, chain, spring....ect. were never pre installed before. In retrospect....this is a VERY minor issue. All your missing is the black coated cable and a cable clamp.

7. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

You're not missing any parts. With the new Fleet Flex system and packaging, the black coated cable and clamp are no longer used. Since this is the very latest production, and many of our dealers still do not even have this inventory in stock, the new installation instructions are only on the dealer side of our web site. Go to the dealer who sold you the plow and have them access the instructions for you. Or, email rpeabody@fisherplows.com! And Roger will send them to you via email. The instructions will show you the correct way to install the new pull down spring.

John

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

If I request a cable do you guys think that they will send me one? I'm not 100% but it seems like the chain is to short. I have a couple accounts that are very steep, I'm not sure there is enough drop in the plow to keep contact with the surface. I am going to have to shovel 5' of pavement

9. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Worth a try if you'd like to go that route. If not, its probably very cheap to just buy some cable from Lowes/home depot and install it yourself.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

See Mr. Murphy's post above ^^^^^^^^^^^^

He is from FIsher Directly, if he says you don't need it....you don't need it. I was unaware of that change at the time of my above post.

In regards to the chain, your travel is limited by the Ram and Bump Stops....not your chain.

11. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

If you add a little extra chain you can get the plow to drop a little more. At least thats the way the old mounts were, and I do not see anything that would stop that from happening with the MM2. Does that cable draw the the rod all the way back into the ram? If so this is not going to happen with the spring attached to the chain. The rod is all the way in right now and there is a fair amount of slack on the chain. The way it is set up know it will draw the rod about 2 to 3 inches more than if it was not there at all. So unless you want the rod all rusted (like my old set up is) your going to have to get out of your truck and push the lift ram down all the time

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

yeah yeah yeah, I understand what your trying to do now. I'm still trying to get my plow hat back on...beginning of the season and all.

Go to your accounts with your plow and check it out. The last thing you want to do is give up ground clearance if you don't have to.

In respect to the spring retention, simply adjust it, move it up further. If you feel more comfortable, go buy a new cable kit 27619k.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  13. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

PLOWGUY43

To be honest I did not even know what the chain was for before this week. But know that I know and seeing the way that they are eliminating it's to bad. The new install procedure will not work as well as the cable so I guess I will buy it myself and install it. I guess the way the economy is Fisher is allowed to cut back a little. They are a very solid company that make IMO the best plows by a lot

14. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

REPOMAN
    I know I'll just buy the kit

I'm just bustin chops it's been a long couple of days. Truck has been at the dealership for the last few days so I haven't been able to install anything on the truck side, so every day I have to stare at this plow in my garage I want to see it on the truck already. To be honest it's putting me in a bad mood. By the way another perk from getting the plow at Langs, there is a fresh fish store right down the road. When me and my son left Langs we went and got some nice lobster. Thanks again for letting me know about that place. Hope all your repo's go easy in the future

15. John Murphy

John Murphy Senior Member

Just to repeat - there are no missing parts here. What you have is the new and improved version that no longer requires the coated cable and clamp mechanism. With the new design, the more substantial spring interfaces with the lift chain to perform the same function as the old design. Again, feel free to contact Roger Peabody in our tech department at the previous email address that I posted in order to get the assembly instructions that show this. Or, feel free to PM me with an email address and/or phone number and I will have him contact you.

John