1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

missing 6.0

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wild bill, Aug 13, 2010.

1. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

hi guys i have a 2001 2500hd with a 6.0 Gasser and about 45000.00 miles (the trip meter stopped) it started missing about a week ago .then it got worse ,put it on the neighbors scanner the other day and number 1 and 3 were a dead miss .
    replaced the plugs it got better ,now it misses in gear at a stop primarily when warm ,runs great after you take off lots of power almost sound's like a ignition problem like a coil breaking down when it gets heat soaked .just looking for a little input ,buy the way am running some sea foam through the tank before that some bg44 any help would be appreciated thanks .:confused:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Swap the 1 and 3 coils and wires with two other cylinders and retest. If the missing cylinders move you know what to do next. However if it remains on 1 and 3 then it's likely an injector or intake leak on those two adjacent cylinders. You can check the injectors easily if you have a scanner with bi-directional controls to disable each injector one by one, if you don't then the back yard mechanic way is to pull the fuel rail and swap injectors around and test again.

Going to bet it's an injector issue though....

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  3. wild bill

thanks for the reply i will check that out .

4. wild bill

missing

well i have the missing issue solved it was the injector's dirty you were right b&b ,had them cleaned now just one more question for you i like to prove some thing is defective before i replace it ,can you tell me how many ohm's of resistance there should be in the plug wire's ?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear the injector clean got you fixed up Bill. :salute:

For the plug wires I dislike seeing them over about 800 OHM as once they get to 1000 or more they tend to cause a rough idle. New ones I've checked are generally around 300-500 depending on the brand just for reference.

6. wild bill

thanks for the reply ,you are a wealth of information and under paid at that .ussmileyflag

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm only under paid here Bill. :D

Happy to assist. :waving:

8. wild bill

well i have a update the missing is back ,not quite as bad .i guess it's back to checking wire's and coil's ect .:confused: going to grab a ohm meter and test wires .

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Probably going to find it's still an injector issue unless the plugs and/or wires have been in there forever.

Cleaning often restores their operation but ultimately not all can be "healed" permanently by cleaning. Some just need to be replaced.

10. wild bill

not what i wanted to hear at $100.00 a pop but if that is what it takes eventually ,i will have to take the nestea plunge .

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you get to that point give a shout, I'll show you where to source them for much much less than that. :waving:

12. wild bill

i will keep that in mind thanks B&B .:drinkup:

13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

These plug wires are sensitive as hell in these new trucks. The graphite (IIRC) in them breaks way to easy IMO. There has been a few hard lessons learned on these as they are a real PITA to take off and put back on when they are hard to get off. You can break one and not even know it. I broke mine earlier this summer and replaced them with the MSD's. Make sure you use dielectric grease on both points. Check your ohms and go from there as Mike said.

You loosing any coolant...visibly or not?

14. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Mine picked up a bad miss last week. Come to find out, on of my plugs was messed up for some reason. Only in there for 2 months to boot. New set of AC Rapidfires and all is well. Hopefully it is that easy for you!!

15. wild bill

up date ,i think we have it fixed replaced the wires found #1 coil terminal was full of corrosion ,cleaned put silicon dielectric grease on the wires (to much on a couple )put them back on when they popped off . to much resistance in the wires .thank,s for all the help guy's .:salute:

16. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

$$$$. Just for a set of OEM's plug wires ????? WOW !!!

17. wild bill

yeah the wire's were borge warner #ch7872 And were$51.88

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Read it again Rich, it's OHM's...as in a measure of electrical resistance....not dollars.

19. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I saw the ohms part.. It was the last part that threw me 300-500.... I thought you meant $$$$$$