1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Miss-Firing Strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by White Gardens, Sep 5, 2011.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Last year I had to take out my strobes and fix the wiring on them.

They worked fine until the rear of my dump-bed got jammed up with snow and I heard it arching or popping at one point, so I'm guessing that one of my connections failed and allowed it to short out.

Eventually they quit working.

So today I replaced one of the strobe tubes. Was going to replace the other but broke the tube and I need to order another.

I went ahead and had to put a section of trailer wire in to get me some extra length to repair each side originally.

I kicked on the the strobes and was getting an odd flash pattern. They weren't really strobing at all and only giving me a week flash. It was intermittent on each side with no real pattern that I could tell.

It's a Whelen power supply from 01. Simple, two ports, one for each tube, no adjustment that I can tell.

I haven't gotten into it farther but my thoughts are the power to the box might be bad, or bad ground, or the short sections of lighter wire I intalled, or the new/old tube set-up.

Any thoughts? It's going to be Tuesday before I call Whelen about the issue.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. I would get rid of the trailer wire added in for making the wires longer. The strobe cables are shielded because of the power running thru them to help prevent issues with the strobe tubes. The trailer wire is not shielded. I would clean all the connections and add dielectric grease to all the connections. Make sure the PS (power supply) is grounded at the battery. Make sure if you are adding length to the cables and any wires outside a truck you use heat shrink connectors.

3. White Gardens

Haven't delved any farther into it yet. My truck had to go back to the welder to fix the dump bed so the lights have been put on hold.

Even so, I'm thinking about just replacing the strobe tube system with an LED system to upgrade it and hopefully for longevity. Right now I also have two strobe controller boxes and I could simplify and go to two.

So, on that note, who has got the best LED strobe kit out there?

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Sound off and whelen both have nice products.

5. White Gardens

Figuring I'm not going to deal with the existing strobe system and I think I'm going to a LED system.

Here is what I'm going with. My strobes are in a couple of light boxes with oval lenses in it.

http://www.star1889.com/products/star-warning-systems/LED-Lighting/Model-LDHEF-6-Series.asp

Then on the cab-over rack, on the lip, I'm going to mount one on each corner of the dump bed facing forward.

http://www.star1889.com/products/star-warning-systems/LED-Lighting/Model-DLXT-Series-LED-Warning-Lights.asp

I went the direction of the STAR system as my mechanic has them available at the shop he works at and I can get a good deal on them.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

That's a not a bad way to go. Just run power and ground and a simple on off swtich and your good to go.

7. White Gardens

That's what I'm thinking. Simplicity. I've already got my toggle switches and wires ran for the strobe system, so all I have to do is just take out the strobe box, splice the wires together, then stick the LED in and I should be good to go.

The STAR system seems to be a quality product too. Might not be quite as good as Whelen or Sound-Off, but quality non-the-less.

The thing I'm finding out about LEDS is that either they are expensive, or super cheap. Really nothing much in-between. The STAR LEDS seems to be the closest to the middle I can find.