1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mismatched?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Kevin58145, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

this is my first year plowing and im currently putting together a cross breed plow i guess you would call it, its only for a few drive ways nothing major... here is my question i have an older style cable operated western pump with a 7.5ft meyer poly blade and A frame all truck brackets have been custom fabed outta 1/4in plate, 2x2 1/8in tubing and 2x3 1/4 tubing very well built I tend to over build.... now when i connect the western pump to the meyer plow will all work as it should or is there some unseen problem this is on a 2004 dodge ram 4x4 quad cab. please let me know what you think i'll have pictures soon...

reason for this is it was all really cheap about $400.00 total lights, pump, controller, blade and steel

I will have to buy a cutting edge cause this one is pretty worn but I work for NAPA auto parts and we sell S.A.M plow parts with my discount should be pretty cheap (cost +10%)

Please let me know what you think the good and bad..

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i think that if you are good with a welder you can make anything work, but i probably isn't something you are going to be doing in a afternoon, good luck

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Should work but you have unknow parts going together and did it all work before?

4. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

Yes the pump was working when it was removed a week ago, and the blade is in really good shape I don't know the history of it though, cylinders look good no pits, and no cracking on the hoses, I got a great deal on the blade, I ran in to a guy on his way to the scrap yard with a truck full of junk and I asked what do you make off of that much metal and he says "oh this load probably about $70.00" so I said well I'll give you 75 right now for the blade and he said you gotta deal, supposedly left behind at a forclosed home and the new owners asked him to drag it away....

5. hydro_37

from iowa

Hope it works out for you.
    I would bleed all the fluid out of the cylinders and also the pump motor.

6. Kevin58145

Kevin58145 Junior Member

What is the best way to bleed the fluid from the cylinders and pump? whats the prefered type of fluid? i have 5 gallons or R&O hydo fluid sitting here, is that any good or should i just buy the greenish blue stuff?

7. jimspro

jimspro Senior Member

for the western plows we have we just use regular auto trans fluid like used in GM vehicles, worksd just as good as the western brand fluid but is alot less cost, with the western pump and motor assembly there is a drain plug on the bottom, or you can remove the motor, (be careful not to rip the gasket) and use a turkey baster to remove the fluid in the pump, disconnect the lines from the rams and drain the fluid from them as well, the little bit left in the rams should not make a difference, hope this helps, good luck

8. hydro_37

from iowa

To get more fluid out, jack the blade up and loosen the angle connectors and then manually angle the blade...that will push all the fluid out.

9. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

A Western pump will run a meyer blade without any problems, no changes needed, just hook the hoses to it.