1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mirrors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chuck Smith, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Maybe it is just a quirk of mine. I have always plowed with older trucks that had "normal" mirrors on them. What you see is exactly what is there. I have not plowed with our newer pickups yet, but they all have the passenger side "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" on them, and it drives me nuts as it is now. Also, it seems to me truck mirrors have gotten smaller than years ago, limiting what you actually can see. I miss the old 6" wide X 9" tall mirrors most pickups used to have. You could see your rear bumper corner, and everything else. I find myself using the power mirror adjuster to angle the mirrors down when backing up around objects in tight places.

Am I the only one that misses normal mirrors?

~Chuck

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Nope. I've been noticing that I'm having trouble using the mirrors on my 3500 and have really been wondering why. Seems like I don't have the field of vision I'm used to. Also, like you said, those convex "mirror within a mirror" drive me nuts backing up, especially when turning backwards. I'm finally glad to know it's not just me. I've been wondering if I can get larger replacement mirrors.

3. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Chuck, you must have missed my post on your "New Ford" thread, I said basically the same thing. I also use the power function to get a full picture. The Ford's have a flat mirror supplemented with a tiny spot, not near big enough for my taste.

J.C. Whitney used to have some nice stainless mirror assemblies that are like the ones that NY Bell, NYNEX, Verizon, (what are they today?) uses on their repair vans, but they've been discontinued.

You can upgrade your Ford or Chevy with the mirrors used on the larger trucks with the same cab, F-650 & 750, C6500 & 7500, they bolt on. In some instances you may be left with a hole to either repair or fill with a bolt.

Unfortunately this won't work on your new Dodge, they no longer make the class 6 & 7 trucks.

4. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, Pelican.

5. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I don't miss em. I still have them. :D

I usually plow with the K3500 dump and it has the big truck type, along with about a 4" blindspot mirror on both sides. The pickups have the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" style, and honestly they even bother me when I'm trying to parellel park.

6. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Yep, I missed it. I honestly don't read the Ford Forum much, LOL.

With today's trucks, replacing mirrors that are power AND heated brings up a whole new problem.

I know what you are talking about Pelican, they call them "West Coast style" mirrors.

I just had a thought. Before my brother sold his 95 Dodge, he had Muth signals installed in them. Although his were not heated, I wonder if there is a company that makes a "normal" replacement piece of glass? I didn't see him much when he had the turn signals installed, so I don't know if they modified his existing glass, or if replacement glass was installed with the LED's built in (attached to the back side).

I think that heated NORMAL mirrors, AND heated wiper blades should be part of all "plow prep" packages, as well as a larger reservior for washer fluid. (The list could be much longer, but this would be a good start). Now if only the manufacturers would agree....

~Chuck

7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I looked at a new Chevy dually yesterday at work and noticed it had retractable mirrors.
    You use the power mirror button to move the whole mirror head in or out. Wonder if anyone makes them for other trucks??
    Just a thought
    Mark K

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Chuck.

My wife had the passenger side mirror on her Pathfinder broken in a lot. Took it to a glass shop and they cut a new one out of "normal" mirror glass. All options still work on mirror except it shows a true field now.

Cost was $10. Something to think about.

9. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Chuck, I really miss the west coast mirrors that were on all my old one ton dumps . The thing I hate on my 2001 Dodge dump is the mirrors. With all the neat gizmos that are in the mirrors these days, the engineers forgot the most important things - site.

10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'll second that!!! Or at least be optional. Ford offers heated mirrors on the Excursion, but they aren't available on the Super Duty pick ups. Go figure!

11. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you guys want to add west coast mirrors,here is a company that makes some nice ones.They do have them for dodges.When removing the OEM mirrors,you can get a coverplate from the dealer. http://www.retracmirrors.com/

Also,some of the aftermarket mirrors,I think one of them was Muth,originally came with regular glass on the pass side,which was later changed.

You can also get the west coast mirror heads with clearance lamps,heated,power,and signals,etc etc.

12. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I thought that I would bring this back up instead of starting a new thread.

I am wondering if I am the only person who has SRW non-dump truck that am looking into west coast style mirrors? The OEM mirrors my truck have right now are ok in most condition, but I plan on having a spreader or perhap V box behind my truck, so my rear view would be restricted. So that leaves me up to both side mirrors to rely on. While I still can see some, I still don't feel comfortable relying on just two sides mirrors because I feel that they should be more visible than it is right now. They seems to just be a bit too small.

I am afraid that if I add west coast style to my truck that it would look too big and silly. I saw some mount brackets that are adjustable, so you could manually move it in and out. Is there some kind of brackets that is designed for one ton truck like mine?

Also I saw some interesting products when I was doing search over the internet. This is one of mirrors I might be interested in. It is heated and powered by a small internal motor. It even have heated corvex mirror and also powered by the movement of west coast style mirror. My truck currently have powered and heated GM factory OEM mirrors, like the one in my avatar. I wonder if it is adaptable to this style without needing a separate controller?

http://www.msfoster.com/lm.html

Last edited: Aug 20, 2003
  13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

People actually use reverse these days? I thought R was only good for tripping those darn signals...
    Don't ya just wish "plow prep" actually had options we would like for plowing?
    I hate how my mirrors are not at least square, they have that dang cut out in the lower inside corner, really annoying trying to adjust them, at least they are power & have the heated option.

I just stick my head out the window, look back & hope for the best... Unfortunately all to often I get the flake in the eye or ***** slapped by a spruce... I can't imagine having a salter in the bed...

14. Mick

from Maine

I went to get West Coast mirrors on the 3500. Only thing that stopped me was the garage door. It's just over 9' wide (wider than the standard garage door) and the truck wouldn't fit:( . I guess my next project will be to build another garage just for the snow related stuff and have bigger doors.

15. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

heated washer fluid

Reading the post on this topic i agree with the new mirror deal the new truck we just picked up has a alot better mirror than the ones on the other superdutys but still isnt the same has the ole west coast mirrors.\

I have made a some what simple washer solvent heater if any one is interested it really helped this past season keep the build up off the blades ill give a simple discription if anyone wants more info i can email you the details. What i did is take the seat heater element out of gm and jeep vechs i worked for a dealer up til april and we would warr the heated seats non stop i started saving the old units and repairing the breaks in the grids i take the element which looks kinda like a old heating pad and i fashioned it around the washer tank used the heated switch which has a high and low setting on it wired it with cir breaker and correct fuse and wa la the fliud gets really warm on the high setting i usally start out on high and then turn the wswitch down to lo.
    Iam not sure how this would work on a older truck with a smaller charging system it doesnt affect the new fords with there big alt packages we have anyway i have about 50 dollars into each truck and about a hours work. guess the old phrase it works for me can be used here.
    regards Fred

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

My 03 chevy 2500hd has some nice heated power extend mirrors like what speed racer was talking about. Chevy dont make em though these guys make em for chevy http://www.powervisionmirrors.com or so I have heard. They are nice and pretty good sized but I do wish they were a bit taller(they are plenty wide). It would be a non issue if I had the curb assist(were the mirrors go to a different spot when you throw it in reverse) like my salseman told me it would :angry: , I shoulda ordered the steering controls, oh well :rolleyes:

I will probably throw the little stick on bubbles on her.

Now the mirrors on my dads 550 rule :cool:

I think TTT mirrors are well liked by the towing crowd.....might be another option.

17. wyldman

wyldman Member

Fred - when making a heated washer system,you want to heat just a little fluid,not the whole resevoir.The fluid won't evaporate off as quick,and you can use engine heat to do it.No extra electrical drain.

Use a piece of copper or steel tube run inside or wrapped around a heater pipe,or run near the exhaust manifold.Run the washer fluid through it.Try to keep the distance from where it's heated to the nozzles to a bare minimum,so it stays hot.It's also easier on the washer pump,as they don't like pumping hot fluid.

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well I have put bigger mirrors on everything that I have used for work. The mid-80's Chevies had nice mirrors and sometimes work series trucks come with better mirrors. The old F-series used to have door mounted large mirrors on the lower trim levels and windowframe small mirrors on the XLT and Lariat packages.

I like the mirrors on F-series trucks now. Most others are lacking.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2003
  19. wyldman

wyldman Member

Dodge has the new flip up towing mirrors,and beginning in 2003,they are power\heated as well.Nice mirror which gives you the width only when you need it.

20. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Hmmm... "Blizzard" mirrors! Cool concept. ;)