1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minute Mount Plow Fisher

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Rsweares, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Rsweares

Rsweares Junior Member

When I life the plow or angle, alot of vibration in the motor pump unit. when it lifts it shudders and only goes just so far, than the motor get real hot.
    I changed out the motor, cleaned all connections, drained and cleaned out the reservoir and filter. Also cleaned all the valves in the back of the pump unit.
    So "help" just don't know what to do????? :realmad:

Thanks

Rick
    Cherry Valley MA

2. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

are the grounds good? power plg end broken where u cant see it?

3. Rsweares

Rsweares Junior Member

I changed out the solenoid thinking it was in there, that I was only getting 9 volts at the motor.
    But still not working right. Cables look good, I put the meter on the bat side of the solenoid I get 12.5 v, than put on the other side (plow side) I only get 9-8 volts....
    The ground is good on the new motor, and the ground is good on the top of battery
    What am I missing.....:realmad:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  4. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

After you clean the solenoid contacts or replace the unit, check your voltages to the motor itself this will verify if the cable is good/clean or needs attention also.

Hope this helps, Matt.

5. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

Sorry, just re-read the post and realized you've changed the solenoid, disconnect the leads to the pump motor and report the voltages then. If you still get 9 to 8 volts with no load, meaning the motor isn't connected the cabling is bad or connections. If the voltages are constant at 12.5 to 13.8 than you have a pump/motor issue, clogged, tired or need of cleaning, ie new brushes, etc.

Matt

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Side track alert!: I gotta say that's the funniest variation of a plow brand name or model I've seen yet. Minuteman...:laughing:

7. Rsweares

Rsweares Junior Member

Thats what you call tired..... when I started the thead.... :salute:

8. Rsweares

Rsweares Junior Member

So what you are saying I should get voltage on the positive side of the motor with out putting a load on the cable?
    what I did do is checked the solenoid battery post and got 12.5, there is nothing on the plow side until I hit the plow lever, I only on the plow side of the solenoid get 8 - 9 volts, so that what puzzles me. I'm going to change out the negative cable and go direct to the motor block for ground, so I can rule out grounding issues.
    When I go side to side it works, but the motor is chattering, when I left it chatters picks up 6" and that's about it. The motor starts getting hot.
    As I posted before I changed out the motor already thinking that was the problem. Just trying to understand how these system works, I never had to worry about the plow setup on the trucks, My father-in-law had another guy who use to work on them before, but he has moved away... so I guess I have a new job listing, I told him we need to put the plow into the shop, but being in New England, and how the weatherman sensationalize stow storms, They are backed up 3 weeks....
    Anyways thanks for the help, hope others will chime in....:dizzy:

9. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

you're getting 12.5 volts with the engine running or is the truck off?

How old is the battery? Size (650 cold cranking amps, 800 cca, etc.)?

The connections at the battery and solenoid are clean? I like to coat everything with dielectric grease, make sure there tight and clamping well.

Matt

10. Rsweares

Rsweares Junior Member

I get 12v with the truck off and 13 with it on, battery I believe is year old, looks like 650 cca, battery posts are clean, solenoid is good, connections are good its a new one (just picked up a new one to make sure the installed one is not faulty) I also ran a new direct negative line from the plow motor over to the engine block so to rule out ground problem. Just don't know what to do, I guess maybe it may be the pump??

11. Rsweares

Rsweares Junior Member

Well it ended up be a bad pump, also the chattering was a bad shaft bearing.
    Thanks everyone for your direction and help!!!

Rick