1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minute Mount II Popping Noise

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by dieselmadman, Oct 30, 2011.

1. dieselmadman

dieselmadman Junior Member

Hello all,

I have an MM2 3-plug on a 2003 Silverado 3/4 ton gas. Just tried to hook it up for the first time this season and just get a popping noise coming from the motor on the plow. At first it was a clicking sound so I replaced the solenoid and then the popping sound came from the motor. The lights are on as they should be and the directionals work, but just a pop sound when I try to lift the blade or go left/right. There does seem to be a bit of a smell coming from the plow side plug leading directly to the positve connection to the motor. Fluid level is fine. Is there anything I am missing? I took the control cover off and I have the 3 cylinder setup and the connections seem fine. Hoping my motor isn't dead, but maybe I am missing something to try. If I do need a new motor, is there a good website to try? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

2. dieselmadman

No one? Anyone? Could really use some advise here. If I need a new motor, are they difficult to dismount off the hydraulic box? Thanks.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Try using jumper cables to run the motor directly.

4. dieselmadman

Yeah, I tried that. Just that odd popping sound, and I think I saw a little smoke coming from the motor housing, but not sure. Motor must be fried. Are there any tricks to replacing the motor? Other than disconnecting the positive and negative and removing the two top bolts, is there anything else I should be aware of? I did drain the fluid and it looked really good, so that couldn't have been the root of the problem. Thanks, in advance for any help.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I've never changed one, but nothing to difficult. Pretty sure most require a gasket between the motor and pump housing.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Pretty straight forward, disconnect the wires, remove the 2 bolts at the top, replace with new motor and provided gasket, re attach wires & bolts, and your done. Part 21500K-1 for around $125 - $150

pumps.jpg

pumps.jpg

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm second guessing myself here on a simple detail...I don't think there is a gasket. Either way, a small detail.

8. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I didn't have a gasket on mine. Not sure if anything is different on the newer stuff, mine is an 01 Instact. When the two bolts are out, the top of the housing comes off exposing the brushes. You may need a few wacks of a hammer to get the housing off. Watch for the felt washers on the bottom of the motor.

9. dieselmadman

Hey thanks everyone, and that diagram is exactly what I needed. Do you guys buy your stuff like motors from a fisher dealer or 3rd party? I do have a reputable place in Stoughton, Ma near my house, just don't know if they will be significantly more than some place else. Anyway, thanks again.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

I've never heard of good outcomes when it comes to third party pumps & motors. Lang's will ship to you if you can't find a reasonable price locally.

11. You might get lucky and find the bushing in the end cap of the housing is frozen to the end of the motor armature. When you take the two bolts out, if the cap doesn't lift right off that could be your issue. I have seen it many times.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Excelent point. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

13. dieselmadman

As usual, I am never that lucky...motor came off ok and when I removed the guts from the case there was major corrusion and crud in there...popped the new motor on and she is working great now. Motor cost me $127 At Metropolitan Truck in Stoughton, MA...real good outfit.

Anyway, thanks very much for everyone's help. Now, LET IT SNOW!

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Happy plowing man!