1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minute Mount II plow frames vs.. MM1 and older plow frames

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Winter Land Man, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

What do you guys think of the newer plow frames on the Minute Mount II's, vs. the older Minute Mounts and even the older plow frames. I actually like the older MM style and the older standard mount plow frames on the older trucks (which I deal with often). I don't mind the time to take the frame off. The style is nicer in my opinion.
  2. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I haven't ever used the older design, but I actually like the MM2 & have no complaints. I just drive right up, latch, & we're done. Plus I don't have all that stuff hanging off my truck all winter when we don't even get snow very often.
  3. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

I agree, I like the MM1 better than the 2 as far as style... but I did alter my MM1 after a friend with a MM2 showed me the spring that returns the lift piston all the way to the bottom when in float. I made my own, and it was easy. I can post pics if you want, and actually both my friend and I like mine better than fishers because of the sleeve I put over the spring to prevent anything from getting caught up in it
  4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I liked the conventional mount Fisher back in the day when I first had it -- that's what I grew up around with my grandfather's setups. The plowframe looked good on the front of trucks, and I had a brush guard made for the summer months. Having had the MM for 8-9 years I'm pretty comfortable with it. I'm resistent to change, and I wasn't looking forward to the MM2 which I got last year after 8 years of using the MM1. I don't really have complaints -- the conventional mount was easier on uneven surfaces because of using a floor jack. Solution: use an even surface! I think Fisher has made some great advancements on a product that didn't have any trouble before.

5. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

I've been lucky enough to watch how Fisher's plow has progress from the SpeedCast to the Minute Mount and now the Minute Mount 2. They've really hurt our buisness by taking replacement parts to an extreemly low level of sales. It's a fact that in the days of the conventional mount plows I sold 50+ pushbeams a season because of the pounding they took (both by regular use and abuse!) and a-frames were common everyday parts to sell. Heck, pushplates for GM pick up trucks were sold as service parts by the dozen, lets not forget the pump/reservoirs. Now, I stock mostly parts that are operator error type replacement parts (Jack Legs, etc). They definately engineered a better mouse trap with the new plows.
  6. Personally I like the older style frames that stayed permanently mounted on the trucks as I feel they are more durable for plowing roads. That is why when we get a new small truck we make the minute mount turn into a permanent mount with a few bolts and welding. the biggest problem we have is the A-frames bending on all the different series of Fishers and the headgear cracking mainly on the MM1 series. Lucky for us we have spare A-frames for all 3 different series on hand in the shop.
  7. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

MM2 Frames

I remember when Meyers came out with a tubular ( square) lift frame, the problem that happened as they got older the rusted from the inside out, typically at the bottom where water would collect. They soon went back to a rolled angle iron and they are still kicking around.

The New MM2 uses a tubular (rectangular) frame, I fear in time they'll be just like the Meyer expereiment, and cause a cycle of replacement.

I like the MMI style and durability, and I think that's why Fisher changed, the MMI are lasting too long! The MMI are also very easy to upgrade with the Insta Act systems, the old LCM blades are also easily converted to be fitted onto a MMI lift frame, just too much good used stuff around and that's hurting future sales. JMHO
  8. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

I don't know if rust is going to be an issue with the MM2. I've had experiences with Meyers (that's the very first brand I sold) and rust was always an issue. If someones having problems with the M Blade A-Frame something else is the issue. I'll be breif on the a-frame issue. Since the intro of the M Blade (1999) we've sold over 3000 of them (and we're not a bailment pool). We do stock and sell service parts and quick check of sales history shows total sales of M blade A-frames at less than 30! Seems like a VERY low pct of these being sold as replacement parts. In comparrison we've sold approx 200 of the old type.
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

please post pics!, i was really considering doing this on mine!!
  10. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'll send a photo from home when I get back tomorrow (here at work and don't have access to the photos)

One of the reasons I had the brush guard made was that the plow lights were permanently wired in without plugs. Not being savvy with electrical, I didn't want to go splicing in plugs, so I left the lights when I pulled the plowframe (upright portion) off. I originally bolted the lights at the base but realized how potentially damaged it could get. You should like the photo!

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Please post pics, i almost made one of those a couple weeks ago but, then had second thoughts......figured ide screw something up!!!