1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minute Mount I 1996 Suburban no left/right

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by mrotondi, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mrotondi

mrotondi Junior Member
    from NE

I just put this two plug setup on my diesel suburban. Lights work.

I was only able to raise and lower the plow. If I try and angle left it goes up and try to angle right is just makes a noise, but does not move.

I hooked up the plow to another truck ford and it works fine. I hooked up the cab contoller to another truck and it works fine.

I swapped in another relay, but it does the same thing. I even switched all the connections around on the relay to see if it would do anything. My orange and black wire from the harness that connects to the relay has an splice wire on it that is supose to connect up to the negative terminal. When I connect this to the neg terminal it alows me to move the plow up and down only. If it is not connected it will not do anything.

Do I have to hook up my red power wire to a power source off the igntion. I have the power source connected to a power souce that comes right off the battery. Meaning power all the time to the cab controller. Also it is a diesel so it has two batteries that are connected. Would that cause some type of problem. I am stumped?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Which means your issue is between the controller plug and the grill plug. Likely a broken wire in the harness.

4. mrotondi

mrotondi Junior Member
    from NE

Wiring harness

I agree, but what could be wrong? The light portion of the wiring harness with the two small relays has nothing to do with the plow operation part of the wiring harness correct? I guess both the old and new motor relay cold be faulty. The wiring harness looks like it is in good shape no cuts etc. Simple operation from the cab controller to motor relay.

5. mrotondi

mrotondi Junior Member
    from NE

Motor relay

Does the motor relay have to be mounted to metal creating some type of ground? I just have it set up free floating to test?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Like I already mentioned. The wire traveling from the controller to the grill plug that controls the S2 valve may be broken either somewhere along the wires path or in the grill plug itself.. If the plow and controller work fine on another truck it's the only likely cause. Just because the harness appears visibly fine doesn't mean a thing. Wires fracture inside their jacket with quite regularity.

And no the control functions have nothing to to with the headlamp harness or the relays. You can disconnect the relays and the plow functions will still work.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't matter in your case regardless, the pump runs for the other functions so the motor relay is working fine.

8. mrotondi

mrotondi Junior Member
    from NE

Step one

I should swap in the battery plug section that goes to the relay and mounts on the griil where the plow plugs into (two prog)? If I am getting some fuanction and that means my motor relay is OK then does that mean my wiring harness that connects to the motor relay witht he two smal wires is OK?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No need to fool with the power cable side, your issue is in the control harness, which yes your motor solenoid activation wire is in there as well but just because the solenoid works doesn't mean all the other wires in that harness are ok. You need to check the wire that functions the S2 valve for continuity, which would be the light green wire.

Download and follow the wiring schematics in the manual. It will show you the schematics and plug pin outs. It's not for an Insta-act but
    the wiring is the same. Manual

10. mrotondi

mrotondi Junior Member
    from NE

Did the tests

I did all the tests and everthing worked. One question when it says does the motor run. Does that mean the motor on the plow set up makes a noise? In all these these tests that I ran through the motor on the plow did make a noise but the plow did not move.

There seems to be two different vehicle harness tests one for Motor relay and one for cartridge coils. I did the motor realy one and it passed jumped socket 1 to socket 4 and the motor did run. (made noise no plow movement)

I did notice when I had the plow on the ford truck and it worked fine that in the ford vehicle harness set up it had a motor relay like mine but in bewen the battery and the motor relay it had some other type of round relay. The ford is a diesel 95 and mine is chevy diesel 96.

This wiring harness came off a 2000 gas chevy, so do I need some additional relay becasue of the two batteries being a diesel?

11. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

no just one relay.. you can put a jumper wire for the NEG on your power conection so that you can test the plow function with out the plow moving..(just a tip)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Forget about the motor, that parts working fine (by your description).

In your "tests" did you check the S2 for magnetism? Thats what matters.

13. mrotondi

mrotondi Junior Member
    from NE

I figured it out

The problem is not in the battery side grill plug but the other one. Apparently on a Minute Mount I the light side grill plug and plow side plug do have a relationship that affects the plow function. I just wiggled around the connection on the wire side grill plug and the functions all prefomed well. The problem is either there or just after the cab control plug connector on the wiring harness.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No kidding? Must be why I mentioned all this in my very first post. :cool:

15. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict