1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minute mount 2 pump/motor issue?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jhill603085, Jan 5, 2014.

1. jhill603085

jhill603085 Junior Member

All of a sudden my plow started to move really slow angling back and forth, but seemed to work ok going up or down. If the blade is all the way up, it won't angle at all. Motor sounds like it is working. Is this a pump related issue? Just want to try to make sure that I narrow down what the issue is before I throw a bunch of money into replacing something. Thanks in advance and I hope I accurately described the problem

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Check for fluid freeze up.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ck the fluid first

4. jhill603085

Prior to me having this issue I had a blown hose, which I fixed immediately after it happened cause I had a spare in the truck. I had to replace some fluid that was lost, and it was a good amount. Replaced with fisher fluid. Would freeze up still be an issue even though I replaced most of the fluid?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

It could. Did you add the proper amount? Or just enough?

6. jhill603085

I probably should have drained the rest of the fluid and replaced it all, but I had to get back up and running ASAP cause it was during a storm. So I just added enough to get the plow working. It worked fine for like 6 hours, then started acting up

7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I would drain the fluid and all of the hoses then add new fluid

8. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

check the plugs clean and grease them

9. jshocik

jshocik Member

You say you lost a good amount of fluid...there's possibly air in the lines causing slow angling w/plow raised. Fisher's have a self bleeding system. Angle it both ways a few times & check fluid level again.

10. jhill603085

Yeah I tried many times cycling back and forth to see if that would work, but still no change. Next step I have to do will drain all the fluid, clean the valves, and see how that goes for me. Thanks for your help, and I will try to update once I get some time to work on it.

11. jhill603085

After doing some more research, it's possible that the pickup tube in the reservoir might be what's causing my problem. I figure when I go do a fluid drain I will be able to see if somehow the tube came dislodged. Fingers crossed this is what the issue is

12. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

Ditto! the first thing I'd suspect is fluid freez up caused by moisture in the fluid. solution? do a complete fluid flush.

13. Snow Commandor

from 07666

When u drian the fluid u need to remove the reservoir and replace or @ least clean the filter. I learned the hard way not to skip this step in doing the fluid flush.

14. jshocik

jshocik Member

If you're going to change the fluid & check the filter, while you have the reservoir off, change BOTH filters ! I left the pick-up tube there as I noticed there was a difference in sizes, the new one wouldn't fit, so I just changed the filter at the end. Also clean the magnet at the bottom of the reservoir while you have everything apart. I used the Fisher fluid so there wouldn't be any potential problems.

15. jhill603085

Well I went to go move the plow today, and seeing as how it's almost 50 degrees out, I would be able to tell if freeze up was my issue. Plow still won't angle while completely raised, and has all the same symptoms.

The plan now is to change the fluid, clean everything really well and when I pull the reservoir I will see if the pickup tube has been dislodged. I will keep things updated

16. jshocik

jshocik Member

If you're going to remove the reservoir, change both filters. As for the pick-up tube being dislodged, I doubt that as it is held in place by a bolted bracket. You'll see once you have it apart. Good luck.

17. Snow Commandor

from 07666

I suspect the filter may be clogged & the fluid has moisture contamination.

18. bobcat1911

bobcat1911 Junior Member
    from 05845

Change the filters.

19. jhill603085

Well as it turns out, after draining all the fluid, and removing the reservoir that my pickup tube was in fact dislodged. This was allowing the pump to suck air, rather then fluid which was causing my issue.

I suppose I only have myself to blame. I had changed the fluid and filter last year without purchasing the kit that fisher sells with everything included that you need. Especially the bracket that holds the pickup tube in place.

Now after using the appropriate parts, this shouldn't happen again. Thanks all for the suggestions!