1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minute mount 2 melted power harness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by gsull, Feb 7, 2016.

1. gsull

gsull Junior Member

This is 3rd storm of the year tomorrow, when I hooked my plow up I plugged in the power harness and it started to melt and smoke. It worked fine all year. It rained the night before so I think the harness was wet which made it arc. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did the solenoid click when you hooked it up?

3. gsull

gsull Junior Member

Yes it clicks once. I just got it to work when I cleaned the terminals cycled through the motions then it stopped again.

4. dieselss

So it's working now?

5. gsull

gsull Junior Member

No it stopped again. Harnesses are over ten years old and might be fried. What do you think?

6. dieselss

Could be. But if the pos isn't energized until u,l,r, is pressed I'm not seeing how the harness melted without the solenoid clicking and the motor running

7. gsull

gsull Junior Member

I can get it to work intermittently so I think the harness has bad continuity.

8. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Harness probably bad very common have replaced many for customers over the years.

9. gsull

gsull Junior Member

You think I should replace both sides?

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The main connector the one that feeds the pump motor the male post have a split in them I found after a while you can get a bad connection there. I take my knife and shove it in the split to widen the post out.

I'm sure I did not explain that very well.

11. gsull

gsull Junior Member

I did widen the post it started working then stopped again.

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Need more specific information. This happened when you connected the harness together, or when you operated the plow? The main battery harness, or the multiple pin harness?

13. gsull

gsull Junior Member

Replaced trick side and plow side harness now it works as should. Thanks for the help!