1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minor Accident

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by affprop, Feb 9, 2004.

1. affprop

affprop Junior Member

Well, I had my first little accident this past storm. Because of the ice on the sidewalks I rode up on the walk with the plow to break up the ice. (I know i was going to have to go touch up the walks after but I wanted to break up the ice heavy shoveling)Anyway backing up to set myself on the sidewalk BAM! into a lite pole. This building just opened in Nov. new parking lot they werent impressed. Of course I broke there new pole. Anybody know how much that will cost me? Or my insurance. Thanks. Anybody else have any accidents this year?
  2. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Without knowing what kind of lightpole it's hard to say.
    I'm sure they can range anywhere from a 100 bucks to thousands depending on style and type of lighting.

3. cuttingchris

cuttingchris Junior Member

yea i backed into a light pole but someho it didnt break
  4. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

well you will be at the mercy of the contractor who installed the pole. He is probably required to warranty his work for 1 year. Therefore when he has to replace it he is going to make as much as he can because to keep his warranty no other contractor is allowed to touch his work. if you can find out who installed the light and deal with them dirrectly for the replacement . Or call your insurance carrier ASAP and make them aware of the situation and let them handle it.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

That's why I always turn around and look. There's just too many broke off light poles etc that you can't see in the mirrors. Or drunken Idiots thinking you seen them approaching to ask directions at 3AM. Or your crazy "Dangerous Dodge" plowing partner crossing behind you at warp speed.
  6. KatWalk

KatWalk Member

Just did the same thing two weeks ago

Aluminum light post with two lights on top....estimate of $1200-1300. Damage to truck.....$2800. The problem is only with me though....I am so damn pissed at myself..I have done this lot for five years now. :realmad: