1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minnesota Triggers

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by GTMN, Aug 15, 2009.

1. GTMN

GTMN Member

Can guys weight in on triggers for me? I'm used to plowing at .5"-1" triggers. A commercial customer wants me to plow at a 2" trigger and I get a knee jerk feeling that it is not worth the equipment need to plow the lot. The lot is 401,000 square feet. I'm thinking a frontend loader with a pusher and a bobcat... Help!

2. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

what type of retail customer is that and do they understand they are setting them selves up for a major lawsuit? the reason I say that is 400K of parking lot with 2" on it is a BIG slip and fall hazard.
    I always tell my commercial customers that 1" with drifting is going to make walking into their store hazardous and uncomfortable for their customers. they usually see it my way.

I usually try to get them to agree to a 1" trigger and depending on where you are in minnesota you should have no trouble meeting that trigger in the first hour of a storm.

slugger

3. GTMN

GTMN Member

Its a major us retailer and like most contracts it says that the plower assume liability if there are any accidents. Most contracts seem to have this indemnifying clause... I can get them to agree to a 1" trigger but with that I go out of their budget range. Although plowing at 2" will save them money it will cost me on the liability side... Thanks!

4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Walk, walk, walk away.

5. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

I find that the people that set their trigger at 2" have no clue as to how much snow that really is. Someone stated on here that they bring a ruler to get the point across when meeting with the property manager which I think is a good idea. But when there's an inch on the ground and you put your blade down, I'm betting no one is gonna say anything as long as it is clear and safe for customers and employees when they arrive.

6. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Until they look at a weather report that says 1.1, 1.2 inches and want to know why they got billed for a plowing. I tell any prospective client that salt is not effective above 1'' (which in wisconsin and minnesota may be a real underestimate, especially when it snows when its below 0 sometimes) regardless, negotiate to your desired trigger or walk away.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

It is in my opinion, unless you have time on your side( and how many times is that the case :rolleyes:) I won't salt anything over 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

8. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Don't do it. I did a 2" trigger about 6yrs ago on one property. I told the property mgr all the reasons it wasn't a good idea but he wouldn't listen, and I was doing 3 other properties within 2 blocks so it was just extra money. After 4 1"ers in 1 week he called yelling that there were 3 semis stuck in the loading dock and that the president of the company took a digger. I saved the ( I told you so ) for a later conversation, ended up using like 15ton of salt and used 2 skids with dirt buckets to SCRAPE the entire lot. I ended up making more money but what a PITA. Ended up being a 1" trigger after that.

9. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Ok, unless something's really wacky about how you do things, if you had a 2" trigger, and the property had 4" on it, why hadn't you plowed it? A trigger is snow measured on site, so as soon as you had the 2nd inch, it should have been plowed, regardless of if they were separate events. JMO...

All my commercials are 1.5", and it seems to work just fine. I have a larger (400 units among 4 buildings) apartment community that is an inch. Under an inch, you're just playing with the dusting, seems like you're not really pushing anything, we just melt it off with salt... Truth be told, regardless of trigger, if the lots on either side of a customer are getting plowed, error on the side of caution and get 'er done. It looks alot worse for you if your customer has the only unplowed lot, even if it's only an inch, when everything elses is clear. That being said, a trigger is merely a guideline, as every snowfall is different...

Up until about 10 years ago, a 2 or 3" trigger was common around here. Salt was rare, and if a lot had packed snow on it, people just drove on it. My how things have changed... :redbounce

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Sooo if you had a 3" trigger and it snowed 1/2" 6 times you would go plow that 1/2"? If you are so experienced "10years" why were you asking for info on a 2" trigger?:cool:

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

No flame intended bud, it was just a question. My experience has been to measure triggers on site, when the trigger is met, it gets plowed. That's all I was getting at. :waving: