1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minnesota Snow Hauling/Dumping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by OC&D, Feb 11, 2010.

1. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Well, I haven't had to do this for years because the winters have been so dry, but now I'm in kind of a pickle. I have a few accounts that want their snow hauled and I'm at a loss as to where I can haul it. The one in particular is in the HWY 280/University area of St. Paul. Any local guys know of any options for me that aren't way out in the sticks? Even if you aren't local, when you've had this problem, how did you go about finding a place to dump?

Thanks in advance!

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

You can ask property owners (managers) of larger sites you plow, and offer them x amount per load off their bill. They may even have a vacant property you could dump at. Charge the client your taking it from.

Some landscape supply yards will take it too.

You can try calling some truck owner operators and see if they have a dump location.

Good luck.

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

What's "way out in the sticks"?

Forest Lake?

Hinckley?

White Bear Lake?

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Maine.....LOL

5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Farmington. That's about 1 1/2 hour rounds from the location in a tri. That's crazy.

6. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Yeah, I've been making a few calls but no luck so far. None of my larger lots have any room either. In fact, only a handful even have any green space that isn't parking to stack onsite. I just spent 5 hours yesterday stacking snow in one of my lots in Minneapolis yesterday just to reclaim some lot space and prepare for additional snow. Almost ALL the snow is stacked IN the lot itself except for one small area I can stack it on a little grass they have and that's plum full!

7. wewille

wewille Senior Member

We dump snow at a sand pit. So maybe you can look into a quarry or sandpit nearby to take it? The pit that I work with charges 35 bucks per load.

8. LwnmwrMan22

If you want to pay, bringing it to about 5 miles north of Forest Lake, I can probably make that happen.

Let me know.

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Anyone in your area have a snow melter?

10. LwnmwrMan22

There are 6 that I know of, but I know that at least 4 won't let other contractors use them.

Although, at least 2 of them lost a $100,000 contract this season to someone that was going to do it for $38,000.

11. snowpusher tim

snowpusher tim Junior Member
    from MN

I just gave a price for a Restaurant in St. Paul to relocate and stack snow on site. We figured 2 skid steers and 4 hours. Told them $400. They have a big party on Saturday night, and want/need the extra space, I guess people will try to park in the street as they told me that $400 was way to high. Oh well I guess.

12. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

$400 is a steal for 4 hours with two skids... I would think most guys in my area would be in the $1000to$1200 range for relocation on site.

13. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Most small lots already have a vertical wall around them... guess your restaurant people aren't thinking ahead to big Feb/Mar storms, or the 2-4" this coming sunday-monday. They need the room and will probably call you anyways in a week or two.

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

There are a ton of vacant and underoccupied tereminals and industrial buildings up and down Territorial/university or como behind the fairgrounds. I bet if you made some calls on their signage, you might find one. Sounds like we might be competing with the City for private dumpsites soon.

Or you can do what my bosses old boss made them to do... "lose it in the alleys".

15. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

Good post....don't mean to hijack but I'm in the same boat. I need a spot that is around 394/100 area & 35W/96. If anyone knows of a dump site close by these 2 locations let me know!:drinkup:

16. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

What/who do you plow around 35and96?

17. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

A couple commercial accounts.....what do you do around there? Know of a close dump site?

18. LwnmwrMan22

If you guys want, I've got a 60 hp Kubota with 7' blower on the back.

I'll sub out at $75 / hour so you guys can make a little extra cash on the deal and I'll blow the piles onto the grass.

Takes about 2 hours to do 15 parking stalls 6' high.

It's what I do at all of my places instead of hauling off site.

19. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I've got room at my dump site in Fargo... load them trucks and head on up :)

20. snowpusher tim

snowpusher tim Junior Member
    from MN

I know $400 for 4 hours for 2 skids is cheap. They are my in-laws. Knowing them, they want me to do it for free.
    The part that makes me mad is they say I don't know how to plow snow. What am I supose to do when we get snow like this, and they don't want to pay for a skid steer?