1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

minimum time for skid steer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Dec 12, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

who here has a minimum time for skids? i dont want to haul a skid for 1 hour of work. thinking a 3hr minimum. dunno what everyone else does.

Put it in your bid that there is a 3hr minimum no matter what. If it takes you 10 minutes or 1 hr you are still charging for 3.
  3. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I aggree I usually have a 4 hr min on as skid or wheel loader
  4. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I agree I usually have 4 hr min
  5. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i have a 4 hour min on all equipment, if not they will drive you nuts
  6. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

4 hour min seems pretty standard near me.

That's what I use is a 4 hr minimum.
  8. SnowPro11

SnowPro11 Member
    from KY

General question for anyone using a 3 or 4 hr min.- Do you charge this to each account or is this if you have a certian amount of drive time? I currently have a sub that uses a skid steer with only a bucket and we are trying to settle on a fair hourly rate. I have paid him flate rate the last 2 seasons but he says it does not give him enough money. I think it gives him more incentive to get finished while still having the same amount of money. What do you think?
  9. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I do not use subs any more for that reason, Guys who plow hourly try to stretch it
    as much as they can. Ask him to give you a set rate that he feels is fair. Tell him to get a blade or pusher box, he will increase his productivity. 99% of my plowing is done on a set rate. Unless we get a blizzard or extreme amounts of snow that we have to move or stack piles then we revert to a hourly rate of $125 per hour with a 4 hour minimum per site.
  10. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

what about the sites that are small? maybe only need 2 piles moved/stacked and youre only there an hour? that seems like a ripoff.
  11. havenlax18

havenlax18 Senior Member

I use a 4 hour minimum considering the time to get the skid there.
  12. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

I would have to say that if the client was requiring you to have a skid on site or the account needed it due to certain site conditions, than yea a minimum should apply. If you're using a skid just to save time on your sites, than no minimum. If it takes you 11/2 hours to plow with a truck and 45 min with a skid, the client should pay you a 3 hr min ?
  13. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wow, maybe we should be increasing our minimum. For snow anyway since all of our machines are dedicated to one site we only charge 1.5 hour min.(90% of our stuff is seasonal so everything else is extra to the client ) Its would be a different story if I had to load the machine or move it to another site but then they get charged a trucking fee.
  14. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

4hr minimum seems to be what I have seen
  15. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

smaller accounts, and ones through our own contract are billed about $175-200/hr, so we say 2hr minimum for skid steer machines. and 4hr minimum for front end loader @$300/hr. Price is steep, but we keep times quick and don't waste a lot.

sub contract accounts or anything where you know you cant bid higher than $120/skid and $150 front end loader, are 4hr minimum for anything and ill make sure the mofo operator takes a sip of his coffee every 2 minutes.
  16. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare Senior Member

I guess we are pretty fortunate to only have 10min drive time between most jobs. If we have to go back to move piles, etc.. we charge the time we are there. Most of our money is made on the initial plow, next day callbacks are just the gravy.