1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum snow level

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rsibill, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

What are you people establishing as your minimum to plow?
    2"? Are people calling you to plow less?
    -Bill

2. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

We have 2 bank's that are at 1".

Another bank pays one of the kids who shovel to stay during the storm to make sure their ATM area is swept clean at all times while is snowing.

3. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Home depot is 0.First flake they want salt down.The banks are 1 inch

4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

A dusting we are out covering our properties,now pushing we begin most at 1"

5. Rsibill

Rsibill Junior Member

Residential Minimum Snow Level

I understand commercial accounts must establish 1" min, due to insurance . . . how about residential, at what point is it NOT worth your while?

6. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I don't do res. for many of my own reasons but I when I did I always waited till the snow stopped. Most don't understand going twice and will fight you on pay about it on payday. All depends on you and knowing who wants what and who will pay for what.

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

All residential. 3" trigger. Haven't plowed the full route yet this year. Have been called out for some sanding since we got a couple of freezing rain days.

8. DJC

DJC Senior Member

We have one com that has to be done every inch. All the other com places have to be done between 2-4 inches. res can wait till the storm is done.

9. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

1.5-2

I have two office buildings, and 2 neighborhood streets that get done at 1.5inches. ....wait for the snow to stop first if I have time.

All residentials are at 2." I've plowed them at less, just to keep those with a slightly "different ruler" happy.

I have only seasonal contracts. This way nobody complains that "it didn't need plowed." If they complain that it did need plowed....."your contract says 2".

10. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I have 2 accounts that want it plowed anything over 2" and one for anything over 1" and there are home accounts right down the street.

11. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I go out at 1/4 of an inch (sidewalks).

1/2 or 1 inch for driveways depending on owner. Sometimes less even.

Sincerely,
    Jake

12. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

Twp large commercial building that get plow at .75 " salted at anything less

13. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

Banks,hotels,business's,hills,stops,turns,are 1" then sand, just sand if less.
    Condos,Aprts on the flat 1.5"- 2". Sand as needed.
    Residential's I only sand,as needed after their plowed.

14. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

All commercials, 2" trigger.

Anything less gets de-iced at my discretion

15. Dnipro Max

Dnipro Max Member

I do residential after 3" of snow, no commercial yet

16. landcare pa

landcare pa Member

we start when the first flake flies and police all properties daily in the winter if where nameing the property owners as addtional insured we go at me discretion if im liable for slip and falls we are doing whatever it takes to eliminate them.. we only do commercial work and for people who are willing to pay for service... :salute:

17. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I plow at 4" of snow....

I would LOVE it if we could go out at 1"... i'd quit my day job and plow full time.

Glen

18. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I start at 2", except the grocery store that wants bare asphalt...

19. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

All of our accounts are 1" except the US postal service, one bank, one optomitrist, 2 oldfolks homes, and a couple picky residences that are 1/2". When you start messing with anything less than 1", it gets hard to do anything with the pickup blade so the ATV's do most of the 1/2" accounts.

20. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We do both residential and commercial at 3 inches.