1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum investment? Need Help?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chtucker, Jan 20, 2003.

1. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Here goes another zinger. Got a call from a clients insurance company about a slip and fall accident that occured 3 days after an event. They are on a per push, NO SALT NO SAND contract, with signed waivers.

Talked to the claims person, documented the weather and plowing times and dates, left it at that.

I WANT THESE PEOPLE ON A SALT CONTRACT! I plow with an Excursion so there is obviously not going to be a Vbox in my future.

What can you reccommend for a tailgate hitch spreader? Keep in mind that I have NEVER SEEN one!. What is the best value out there that is readily obtainable....LIKE NOW!

I want it to reduce my liability and to make money.

I will probably have dedicated plow truck with a vbox next winter.

2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

The Western Pro-Flo 2 can be purchase with a rear hitch attachment.

Chuck B.

3. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Probably the most common units to find for a decent price would be a Western or Fisher low profile unit. Or a SnowEx, not sure of any other units that use trailer hitches for mounting.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Howard, get a Western or Fisher tailgate. You'll need a Class III Reese hitch. Just make sure it's a two stage model. At some point, you'll probably want to upgrade to a Vbox, Under Tailgate etc. You'll likely still have use for this one on smaller lots.

5. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

SnowEx Spreader

Howard I would get a smaller SnowEx 575 spreader. Great little unit. And is easy to install and remove, would make an excellent unit to start with. Give me an e-mail if you want some more info and pricing.:rolleyes: John

6. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

We use three single stage tailgate units, which can slide into reese hitches. I would not recommend a two stage if you are going to upgrade next year anyway to a V-box. Our singles work GREAT and are very inexpensive, compared to the options.

I like the western 1000's, but the buyers have worked for us fine as well.

I have a snowex 575 that I really like the design and looks of, but have not had a chance to try it yet.

7. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Chek out www.discountsnowplowparts.com I bought a Buyers SUV Spreader But after all the mods. to make it work (new auger,spinner,motor,virbrator and speed control) It would have been cheaper to buy the Magnum 350lb. 2" receiver mount. The part number on their site is 354-0575. They had one on display and it is a well built unit. Magnum has a web site it is www.imperialelectric.com :) ;) :) ED

8. chris k

chris k Senior Member

"What can you reccommend for a tailgate hitch spreader?"

I bought the Fisher speedcaster2 this season for my 01 F350. Works great..will spread anything including sand. It comes with its own trailer hitch. It will not work with an other hitch. Works out good bracuse then you have the class 3 hitch to use the rest of the season.
    Good Luck

9. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I just purchased a Lesco Mini Load hitch mount spreader last week.Bought it for a song-he's got one more left (they are less than a year old-to bad your not closer). I believe it's almost the same spreader as the Trynex 575 (just has the Lesco name on it) I've used it twice and I am in love-NO MORE WALKING THAT BIG PARKING LOT WITH MY PUNY BROADCAST SPREADER:D
    It holds approx. 350lbs. It work great with bagged materials, and mine also has a vibrator so I can use bulk. You might try Northern Tool-they have the same basic spreader for around $800.00 I believe

10. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I just purchased a Lesco Mini Load hitch mount spreader last week.Bought it for a song-he's got one more left (they are less than a year old-to bad your not closer). I believe it's almost the same spreader as the Trynex 575 (just has the Lesco name on it) I've used it twice and I am in love-NO MORE WALKING THAT BIG PARKING LOT WITH MY PUNY BROADCAST SPREADER:D
    It holds approx. 350lbs. It work great with bagged materials, and mine also has a vibrator so I can use bulk. You might try Northern Tool-they have the same basic spreader for around $800.00 I believe

11. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Since you say you're plowing an excursion, that limits your ability to load a pallet of material in the bed of your truck, so to speak. If you dont' want to full with bags from the inside of your truck, than a larger spreader/capacity would be better since you can load it full of salt and cover about 2 acres before you're empty. A two stage unit is great. A Western Pro Flo 2 takes a special receiver (as mentioned earlier), so you'll take off your existing hitch or do some fabricating of your own to an existing. The draw back as Tom mentioned is that if you're going to upgrade next year anyways and not use this spreader again, a larger two stage unit isn't the least expensive option.

12. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I don't think an excursion can handle a Pro Flo 2??? Even if it was installed, you'd probably only be able to load it half way at the most?? Not sure, but I wouldn't consider it. I would stick with the single stagers made for SUV's such as Trynex, Western, Buyers etc. You can do a search on each of the recommendations in this thread & you will find plenty of comments on each. Good luck.

13. captjack

captjack Member

Buy a beeter truck for this job and keep the new x-trk clean.
    remember you will have to hall bags around inside the truck to load the hopper.
    MESSY MESSY work for a nice x truck to be doing.
    jack

14. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

It is a work truck.... PSD, hauls grain 2000lbs twice a month, used to haul my skid steer, tows my jeep, Rated for 12k towing. Currently has 8.5 plow doing commercial work. Upgraded springs. Run what ya brung. Will be installed 810 blizzard power plow this week. It is commercial registered, nsured and owned. Bought it cheaper than a Supercab with a topper.

I have enough project trucks in my life. Next season hopefully will be in a 1 ton flatbed with a v box.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2003
  15. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Excursion

I see no reason why the excursion wouldn't handle a spreader. Like Howard said, its rated to tow 6 ton, BRL, maybe your thinking of the expedition. The excursion is only offered in 3/4 ton, and is a heavy SUV. Weight wise, not a prob. Only would be limited to going back to shop every time you fill unless your gonna crawl around in the back. Since the Excursions do have the swing up glass, you might be able to horse bags out of there with the spreader on, but I wouldn't want to.

Good luck Howard.

John

16. BRL

You're right! Wrong X LOL. Still didn't know that was a 3\4, so I say get the Pro Flo 2!! I have a Trynex 575 on my full size Blazer & can open the back window to hustle bags out when needed. But the Pro Flo 2 is a lot taller, so it would probably be in the way of that window opening?

17. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

Howard, here's an alternative that a guy uses around here.
    instead of spending your money on 2 salters( 1 for this year and 1 for next) go get the v box you want and put it on a trailer for the rest of this year, ya it's not as convienent,pulling a trailer in the winter ,but a guy around here uses that plan and it seems to work. i know you got a trailer from reading your skidloader fiasco.
    just something i've seen and passed along.
    dan

18. BRL

You could do a search here for threads where trailering V-boxes have been discussed.

19. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

tailgate spreaders

Check the line of spreaders from
    www.imperialelectric.com
    I got a flier a month ago from them, and looks like they make decent units. They claim to be cheaper than buyers and trynex. I cant say for sure, but worth a look.
    Dino

20. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Well, it seems you have a slight decision to make. Being that you want to buy a v-box next season, personally i would buy it now. The cost difference around here between a v-box and a westrern pro flow 2 is only about $1000. I would put it on a trailer if you have one. Guys in my neck of the woods are using them all the time. They seem to work pretty good. I know the guys personally have had no issues towing them. Good luck, just be wise in your decision. Those damn things cost to much money, I know in the last 2 years I have bought 3 units. Good luck. Only my opinion

Rick