1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum equipment check list

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mlc4163, Oct 9, 2001.

1. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

Trying to come up with a machinery checklist for a 300 unit housing/townhouse project I'm bidding on for this winter. I would appreciate any advice about what the members would consider is a good equipment list for a project of this size.
    Starting with a 3/4 ton 4x4 with a 7 1/2 foot Western plow, then . . .? A brief statement after each item would not only help me but will most likely fuel some spirited debate as well. Then we all win.
    I've run searches for snow blowers, i.e. Toro vs Honda ect... so am thinking along those lines too. This is for the main roadway, parking areas (details have not been finalized), and sidewalks.

Thanks for all the help in advance.
  2. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

If you're doing 300 drives you're definitly going to need a back plow, or someting that backdrags clean and quick. I have a 125 unit housing community no parking areas all driveways and all I plan to put there is a skid steer with an 8' plow, along with a seasoned driver and small snowblower for walks, the walks are short and don't have to be done untill the storm is over.

With the sidewalks you have to let the size of the walks determine what you need. If they're skinny and short a one stage toro will do the job real nice, if there's miles of wide walks you might want to look into a snowblower and a skid steer.

Without knowing the approximant size it's hard to guage what you need but I would think unless this place is huge (we're talking 300 units not buildings) I think you could handle the roads and the lots with pickup. Again the size matters a lot, you might want to look into a dumptruck with a v box.

If it was me

3/4 ton p/u 8' plow with wings + tailgate salter
    should handle all the roads and parking areas(it would be dedicated to the site)

skidsteer with snowblower
    This will do all the large walks often assosiated with that many units and willl make short work of the driveways if there are any

a snowblower and a shovel
    To clear the smaller walkways

sorry this is kinda long
  3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

We have 2 condo projects that we handle all the drives with skidsteers. Each condo is tag teamed with a skid steer with a bucket and the second with a blade. The one with the blade does most of the clearing, and the one with the bucket stacks the snow neatly. One guy drives around in a ranger with a shovel to touch up before the skid steer with the bucket.

After they are almost done with the whole complex, a big truck with a 10' blade arrives, and plows and salts the main road. The 2 skid steers go to the end of the road, and work to clear the windrows from the drives, as the big truck salt the drives. 2 skid steers clearing windrows, can work at the same pace as the big truck salting.

4. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

You will need 3 extra people in the office to handle all the complaints, about plowing in the middle of the night, about not sweeping the snow dust from infront of their garage door, for plowing to much, for plowing to little, and on and on. Aside from my little stab at condos, we use tractors with three point box blades and also skid loaders with a blade or bucket.
  5. mlc4163

mlc4163 Member

skid steer as option?

The skid steer in an intriguing idea. What is the determining factor for choosing a skid steer when evaluating a new job.
    My drives are a mixture of dedicated or two car per unit and a sort of apartment complex style, i.e. row of 10 spots then grass, ect...
    I'm a rookie but wouldn't running a snow blower along the building then back plowing the drive, or just back plowing, be as quick. The only advantage that jumps out at me is the ability to move and stack the snow where I want.
    How should I be thinking here?
    Thanks for the help.