1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minimum charge?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makndust, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

What do you guys charge for a minimum when someone calls you to do something small. I got a call from a lady today at a retirement home. She said that they had some ice buildup at a north facing dooreway that she asked if I could scrape off. I went over and did it and it took about 15 minutes. I normally charge 60 / hour. 15 minutes would onlybe $15. I was thinking of charging a $30.00 minimum for stuff like this. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For plowing, if it takes an average of ten minutes or less, I'll apply a minimum of $25. For sanding - if someone calls for just sanding, I'll charge a definite minimum of $35 plus a charge for mileage if it involves more than seven miles one-way. A minimum sanding is anything that takes less than about 1/4 yard.

3. Don.EMS

Don.EMS Junior Member

Stick to a 1 hour minimum, yours being $60. I'm sure you have at least 1hr into it counting drive time to and from, gas, work time etc. unless you can walk there charge the full hr.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I would base this on whether or not you want their business again. Depends on how far you have to travel etc., if you want more clients, and the biggest one--how big a pain in the a$$ these people are in general.

Case in point, I have one job I do for gas station/variety store/sub shop that is a major chain in Ontario. Its not a huge, expensive job, but thusfar I have yet to see a penny from them for the season. If they called and asked for a favour the answer would be no way! They have called and complained three times for varous things this winter, and I have never gotten a complaint before in all the time I have been plowing (3 years)... but the best complaint was that they couldn't get the fence doors open in front of their dumpster. I was told that I had piled snow in front of the doors (huh?!!?) I drove 25 minutes to get there (they are at the far end of my route) only to find an 8" wide strip of snow 4" deep in front of the gate--it was as close as I had ventured to their half-rotted fence (didn't want to be responsible for that...) Also note that they are responsible for all the handwork. Because it had been left for the better part of a week it was frozen pretty bad, but still took less than five minutes with a shovel to remove.

Then I called the woman who complained and told her what I thought of it.... and that this was their freebie for the season--next time I would be charging for an appearance like that for nothing.

These people will get no breaks from me. Pretty soon I'm going to be calling collections...

5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah stick to the 1 hour charge

6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

cleanup:$60.00 an hour ½ hour mimimum billed in ½ hour increments

7. chris k

chris k Senior Member

One hour minimum here. It only took you 15 min. but what about your drive time?

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Minimum of $50 just like for salt only

9. Don.EMS

Don.EMS Junior Member

I would stick to the 1 hour minimum and then if you feel like doing 1/2 hour increments ofter the first hour that would be cool. I round up to the hour and never had a problem. If I'm there 10min. thay get charged 1 hr. If i'm there 1hr 10min. thay get charged 2 hrs. Thats what works for me, but I'm sure its not for everyone, just do what you think is fair for you and the custumer.

10. Don.EMS

Don.EMS Junior Member

Oh ya, Make sure when you send the bill include a thank you letter and a Biz. card, and mabey a quote for next year to do her building full time.