1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

minimum age for plow driver

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dodgeguy99, Mar 5, 2007.

1. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i have a quick question for you guys what is the minimum age for a comercial snowplow driver who works for another company. my younger brother wants to work for the same company i work for and he is 17 my boss said that it will be fine for him to plow but i was just wondering if (legally) you have to be 18 thanks.
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

The liability of a young driver is astronomical, and personally I wouldn't generally think of using someone under 21. It's going to depend on a few factors: the company's insurance carrier may have requirements, and state license requirements will dictate what a person can drive for commercial vehicles (a pickup is a passenger vehicle for driving purposes even in commercial use, but a 6 or 10-wheel Mack with air brakes will be a commercial vehicle & probably need the CDL in most states).
  3. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

the trucks we plow with are 3/4 ton and 1 ton chevys and fords also a F450 and an F550
  4. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt....but if the owner says ok, thats his decision. Alot falls back onto him if anything happens, so he must not care too much. :)

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Companies I have plowed for before have hired 18-21 to plow if they had their own truck and 21 if they were to drive a company truck. Anyone under 18 was always on the sidewalk crew.
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Probably a good guideline to go by, AND it gives a company a few years to groom some plow guys by running them on sidewalks for a while until they are old enough.
  7. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

8. kuryssnow5

kuryssnow5 Member

ive been plowing since i was 15 but not driving on the roads just in the lots and then at 17 i went to plow for a company and all they asked was for a choffers (i cant spell it) licnese and i was good to go