1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Minimium age

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Elwer, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Does anyone know what the minimum age to work for the county is and what the requirements would be for Ohio? I'm job shopping around and thought I'd might give it a try. I'm going to school for Diesel and getting a CDL. any info would be greatly appreciated
    thanks Matt

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

im guessing 21 to drive truck for a township...18 to work as labor

3. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

hey I am pretty sure dirt digger is right. Last time I checked with the the county i live in it was 18 years old for a laborer and 21 years old to drive the dump trucks and snow plow trucks. Hope this helps:salute:

4. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Thanks for the info i was guessing that but wasnt sure.
    Thanks

5. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I know in my hometown township (which was NW Ohio) that the trustees fo the township had to plow the snow, it was figured into their small paycheck that they got. They had one fulltime township laborer (who was generally older and that was his job in life). That township also hired seasonal workers to mow the cemetaries and what not, and you only had to be 16. This was a rural township though and all farm country, so it could vary area to area.

6. CJSLAWNSERVICE

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

Where I'm form the Local DPW Hires you on for a Un-paid internship at 18 and at 21 you can be accepted to plow in a paid positon .... BIG $ !!! I guess that means you just get to ride along for a few years to learn the game.

7. weldit

weldit Junior Member

I used to work for double A trailers on the edge of Delphos, went to school at northwestern in Lima. Anyway, in Indiana you can get a CDL and drive the plows (depending on company policy) at 18 but the CDL has restrictions until you turn 21, not out of state and mostly over the road trucker rules, you might check with the local BMV because I know a guy that almost didn't get the job because the company did not even know the CDL rules! Good Luck!