1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Storage Doors

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hyfire39, Jan 12, 2014.

1. hyfire39

hyfire39 Junior Member

we are currently plowing an 800 unit mini storage facility. Next season it will be around 2400 units with an expansion they are starting. Currently we have to clear each door out when we plow. 1'' trigger. We do it with 2 guys with 21'' single stage or backpack leaf blowers. Then plow with skid with box pusher. The hand guys have to get the snow about 20-30'' out from the doors the keep from plowing them back in. it is a very slow deal for the hand guys with the current equipment and property size. With the property tripling in size next season i am wondering what a better way to do these doors would be.

south ankeny.jpg
  2. strokerpuller

strokerpuller Member

Wow that job must pay well.Thumbs Up I'd step up to some sort of ride on blower with a cab. Ventrac maybe.
  3. hyfire39

hyfire39 Junior Member

not a bad job at all. I was thinking that or with the skid already on site and then adding a 2nd skid next year. i thought about an angle broom.
  4. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

on the ones that i do, i have one of the guys use a 30'' 2 stage blower in front of the doors with one or 2 passes, just depends on how much snow there is. then follow up with the shovel if needed before i get to the property.
    I also have sweeper for the front of a snowblower and snowblower frame, but dont like using them in wet or deep snows as they seem to slow down.
    sometimes if it is a big snow, I will make some passes first to get the majority out of there for the hand crews that way when they come in there wont be that much to accidently fill the doors in again.
    I would say a larger snowblower would be the ways to go. Or if it is light snows, I do use the wheeled snow pusher and the 48'' ones as they are pretty quick to use on the 1-3'' snows.
  5. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Might be expensive but what about a quad with a buffalo turbine blower? aim it 1/3 way up the doors and the snow should blow out the bottom into the aisle?!
  6. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

16' Ebling pull plow. I get within inches of the doors at the mini storage I do. If you need complete clean out at the doors, use a large shovel and walk along the entire building just like a plow. For the record, I have a skid loader with a pusher. I don't use either now that I purchased the rear plow.
  7. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Simlar property, we do it the same way..
    ONly contract I have written hourly. .
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hire midgets and you'll be able to hire them 2 for one.
    Or this. Just add a wing to it.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  9. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Rather than hand clean next to the buildings first, consider taking a few passes with the truck within a foot or two of the building first. This will keep the work for the shovelers to a minimum......
  10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

How bout clean the main thruways and put a guy on a small hydrostatic Kubota or similar tractor with already three point hitch back up to the doors and pull out?
  11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

This is similar to what we use to do. We would clean most of the property b4 the laborers would show up. They would use either blowers or shovels depending on snow amount, and place it 2 - 3ft away from building, then then the rig would come through for a final cleanup.

When the mini storage we do(that we did this on), expanded the last time, the price for this "extra service" jumped WAY up. He no longer feels its necessary to do this lol....I'm glad.