1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini loaders, Which One

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by snow game, Nov 9, 2012.

1. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

Thinking of purchasing my first Mini Loader. Looking for advice. I like the Wacker wheel loader. It takes all the skid steer attachments and will fit down a 4' walkway. Have a lot of snow accounts in one area that are tight on room, But I am not buying it just for snow.
    There are a whole bunch that I like, kind of like a kid in a candy store.
    Deere, Cat, Takeuchi

Currently I have:
    4 Backhoes Deere and Cat
    Cat IT28 Loader
    7 skid steers Deere and New Holland
    2 old school front end loaders
    2 Excavators Hitachi 120 and Deere 50D

Seems like the only thing I'm missing is a mini loader. Are there other makes that will take skid steer attachments?
    Let me know what you guys think.
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

I have a Cat 906H and love it... Not sure how mini your thinking but a 904 might be fit the bill too
  3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I would love to have one also. Researched quite a bit and the one negative is price!Those things are pound for pound, hp to hp etc high priced for what you get.Money no object I prefer cat or deere. My 2 cents
  4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we have a gehl 680. its been a very reliable, strong machine. Its nice to have for haul outs and stacking on tight sites where a full size loader would just do more harm than good. the reach is perfect for good full loads of snow on a quad axle. The biggest downside is roadspeed. wish it was faster, but the advantage to a smaller loader is you can trailer it without a semi.
  5. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

i ran a 903 cat for a while and loved it other than it did not have the best traction
  6. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Are you talking about any kind of loader or just a wheel loader/ articulating? I have a ASV RC30 and I use it for every thing.
  7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I think he's talking wheel loader only...

We rent the mini Deere, Takuchi or even the Case wheel loaders quite a lot in summer and each one is nice in it's own way, all were re-branded machines.
    Personally the Baby Volvo's felt the most solid over the years we've used 'em.
    Also a re-brand.
  8. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

Seems to me a large skid steer in the same weight class will perform better (being able to do 180 degree turns as opoased to 3 points) for half the price. Most mini loaders don't hold up like a larger machine. If you do go with a mini loader the John Deere 244j might be the best (manufactured by Liebherr).
  9. MConst

MConst Junior Member

We've owned a CAT 902 for three seasons now and love it. Great heat, visibility, and ease of use. Easy service intervals and push button quick connect using all our skid steer attachments. We run a 10' pro-tech box on it and never had any problems pushing.

Its ideal for tight retail lots we service. It was expensive, but consider finding a quality used item. There are quite a few on machinerytrader.com.

Good Luck!
  10. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I'm Thinking of the Wacker Neuson Mini loader, either the WL 30 or 50. I used to have a swinger loader. It was mid 70's machine with a gas engine, but it could go anywhere and never get stuck. I have plenty of big machines, (skid steers Backhoes and loader) looking for something I can go over a lawn with without tearing it up, quick and easy to move. I can also run all my skid steer attachments with this as well. I priced a new bobcat skid and it was $59000.00 The wl 30 is low 40's. I know its two different machines, but I'm not in the market for another skid steer.
    One thing I wasn't crazy about is that forward and reverse is a thumb switch, instead of pedals, I have never seen that before, seems like a potential for trouble.
  11. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

12. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

did you end up getting one? We have a telehandler we are thinking of getting rid of and I was looking at these vs ag tractors. 2 totally different machines I know but looking at the good/bad of all ideas.
  13. jakewith shovel

jakewith shovel Junior Member

I own a Volvo l20. I plow apartment parking lots very happy with it.
    Visiblity is great,
    fits everywhere, tight turning radius
    i drive to all lots, no trailering involved. its a bit slow but my accounts are within a 2 miles.
    looking to add a salt spreader for next season.
    all things considered its the perfect loader for me, Like any compact loader it was expensive when compare to skids but for my needs its a great machine.
    I agree with other posts Cat 906 great machine but $$$ Deere 244 also something to look at, but the best machine is one that YOUR your needs
  14. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I too have looked at the wacker loader. I like it due to size, etc. this will be the next equipment purchase, a mini loader of some sort, brand etc.
  15. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

Just starting to research this topic as well. I test drove a wacker wl30 today and I was impressed with the power it had for a loader that small. It had the little bucket on it and I had the dealership put a big skid bucket on it and it handled it just fine. Dug around in the snow pile for awhile and seemed to have good traction. The dealership said it will push out 10' arctic no problem. I thought it seemed like it would be a bit much but they said they have pushed a 12' arctic with one. Idk..looking into the New Holland w-50 due to its faster speed.
  16. snow game

snow game Senior Member
    from RI

I ended up leasing with option to purchase. Ran it all winter doing walkways and clean ups. Cut down and extra plow we had so it would fit on the walks. We got burried in the blizzard and 3 different school systems hired us to do city walks they couldn't do. Couldn't be happier with it. Just followed through with the purchase and got an extra set of the wide tires for earthwork.
  17. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Snow game I sent you a pm
  18. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I recently added a used New Holland W50 for this winter. Nice size, excellent visability. Weighs 10k. Putting a 12 ft pusher box on it. It will mainly plow a small mall and load salt. Quick attach bucket, forks, 10 ft snow plow and I had the quick attach put on the pusher box (plus left the bucket attachment so it can be used by other machines also).
  19. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

I had the cat 906 and got rid of it for the deere 244j.Hands down the deere is a better machine by far.
  20. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

I bought a terex tl 80 put a 10 foot pusher could probally Handel a 12 but my guy loves it
    Only been 4 storms but even in ice he had traction
    We used it all summer at shop to load material and u load trucks of stones and tress
    Worth every penny and way different than a skid