1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Lightbar Problems

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DeereFarmer, Dec 13, 2005.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Just bought a Whelen Guardian Min Lightbar mag mount with a cigarette plug for my truck. First thing it did was the blow the fuse out of the cigarette plug. O.K, no big deal. The second thing is that the cord just barely reaches from the light to the plug, so I got a cheap extension for it. Ran the light for a few minutes everything worked finr, but the extension plug melted. Is the light supposed to get that hot? Do I just need a better extension? The light and everything works fine, but the cors is just not long enough.

2. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Dude.....Mine so did the same thing when I added an aftermarket extension.

But I am not having any issues with the fuse blowing in the stock plug.

I also have the Whelan Gaurdian Mini.......

3. ght1098

ght1098 Member

I think the key words here are "cheap extension". Melting = heat, heat = resistance, and that is bad. If it were me I would replace the wire for your light, use 12 ga and a new cig plug, or you could splice some extra wire in the existing pigtail, just make sure it is of the same gauge that is on there.

4. Elsewhere

Elsewhere Junior Member

Mine had problems also.

My lightbar also had some problems. Different manufacturer. Blew cig lighter fuse. I emailed manufacturer and worked with engineering to correct problem.
    I had to ship light back and forth, but the supplied me with a replacement
    during the time. The worked some cabling issues with the light.

3 questions they asked me, What make of truck? Mine is a 2003 Ford f250sd.
    What make of plow? And where are you powering Plow controll module from.
    Mine is a fisher, connected to the Radio fuse at the fuse box. I was also using the cig lighter to power the light. They think the wiring to the cig lighter isn't heavey enough in guage to support the light. But haven't had any problems running the redesigned light in the power port.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't think that those extension cords are made for that sized light.

6. DeereFarmer

Epic, that is what I was thinking. I have founds some at some local auto parts stores of much higher caliber. Would those be worth a try? The first was terrible and I got the result I was expecting. When replacing the fuse on my cig lighter, I just replaced the whole thing seeing that I broke it!:rolleyes: I have also thought about getting a permanent mount, but then my truck won;t fit in the garage! Guess it might be time for a bigger garage! Thanks everyone for your help.

7. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

The lightbar is pulling too much amp for the standard extention.

Suggest you make your own extension.. go to Autozone and get a couple 2 pin connectors and good heavy gauge wire. Cut the factory wire, connect the connectors to each end then create the extension matching the polarity of the original factory lines.

8. dvshooter

dvshooter Junior Member

golden has the best soultion....You may even try hard wiring it in with a HD illuminated switch so you wouldn't need the plug. You can always splice a pigtail in for summer removal.

9. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Whelen mini light bar

:waving: FTO, That's hard to believe? Whelen usually makes a good product. being a firemen, I've been around Whelen products for years. I have the same light, I guess I'm the lucky one because I haven't had a bit of trouble. I run it in my Dodge 1500. Did you try going to the Whelen website and contact them? They make the light so they should be able to tell you what to do and may offer the proper parts you need?

Pales Rider :gunsfiring:

10. DeereFarmer

I think that might be my next step. My thoughts have been that first, my truck is 13 years old and the cigarette light had never been used bedore it its life, so I was expecting it to blow out. I fixed the lighter and it now works perfectly. The second problem is the extension. It was cheap and I am in the process of looking for a better one. Other than that, I love the light. It is very bright for the size!:redbounce

11. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Did you call Whelen?

:waving: FTO I was wondering if you called Whelen about the light problems????

:gunsfiring:

12. DeereFarmer

:waving: No, not yet. I ran the light for about 15 minutes (w/o the extension) and it was warm, but worked fine. I will have to see how it does with four hours of plowing. but I have been waiting and still no snow!:angry:

13. DeereFarmer

Follow up: I went to Radioshack and got the best extension they make. It worked great. Five hours of plowing with the light off and on and no problems... it didn't even get warm, let alone melt! The extension has an on off switch, so you do not have to plug it in everytime you want to use it. I would suggest it to anyone that has had the same problem. I'll see how it works over time! At any case, it was only like $13!!!:nod: