1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Lightbar placement

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by cti531, Oct 28, 2010.

1. cti531

cti531 Member

Let me start by saying this is probably a dumb question because it will likely boil down to personal preference BUT I'm going to ask anyway. I have an extended cab pick-up and was wondering where you think the best place to mount a permanant mount mini light bar would be? I have seen trucks that have them towards the back, toward the front and dead center. Just wondering if there are any opinions on where it would be most effective?
  2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

When permanently mounting anything on a vehicle roof, it needs to be done as close to the roof cross-members as possible. Vehicle roofs in general are very weak and flimsy. When we through-bolt light bars, we try to straddle the cross-members to keep the roof from flexing. So although light effectiveness is important, safety is even more important.
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

YOUR BACK!!! Long time no see!
  4. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Yeah, It was a tough summer so I couldn't afford my sponsership for PlowSite, but things seem to be getting a little better, so I wanted to get back for the plow season.
  5. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Oh Lord... The Zombie has returned! :waving: Welcome back! :drinkup:
  6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Another thing you might want to think about is how level the real estate is in the area you want to mount it. Ideally, the bar needs to be perfectly horizontal both front and rear as well as side to side. The side to side is easy - just mount it in the middle. The front and rear is affected by the slope of the roof. Generally speaking, the closer to the rear of the roof you get, the more level the real estate.