1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Lightbar Opinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JohnnyU, Jan 29, 2003.

1. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have gained a wealth of information about the Highlighter and the Whelen strobe bars from the past threads on the site. What I'm now wondering is how would they compare to an ECCO 15" minibar? I really like rotators better than strobes, so I'm looking at the ECCO and teh Highlighter, to be more specific.

I'm looking for any opinions on quality, durability, visability, etc. Whichever bar I choose will be mounted on a Backrack-style headache rack, permanently.

The prices that I have been quoted for the Highlighter was $99.99, and $110 for the ECCO.
    Thanks, John

2. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Why do you want rotators? Strobes take less amps, and I think they are more alerting to drivers, JMO.

3. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Amperage draw is not taht big of an issue. I am looking for particulars on motor life and gears etc. I have a single strobe beacon now, and dont really like it, jmo.

5. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

6. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

I am looking for something like that. If you dont mind me asking, how much was it and where did you get that model??

Mac

7. Earthscapes

Earthscapes Senior Member
    from WNY

I got it at a local dealer that deals with police cars and such.
    i think it was $149.00.

There are a few websites that carry it to, just try a search for code 3 light bars.

8. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

Thanks I will do that.

9. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I have a StreetHawk Light Bar on my truck. The town had a small sale of some crap equipment, and I mean like 98% of like the 10 things they had were really beatin up but I found a streethawk lightbar for like $150.00 I think it was. One part of the lense was cracked and a few of the bulbs were out, but I had that all fixed for I think less then $100.00 and I knew the town mechanic so he hooked it up for me, mounted right off my back rack. Looks good. I usually just use the flashers and the takedowns for more visibility. I only use all the rotators when clearing near a roadway or there are white out conditions.

10. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey,
    To tell you the truth, You get what you pay for. I have highlighters on all of my trucks! They work fine. Strobe is more expensive. The highlighter will last! I have one mounted on my back-rack, Its been there for 6 years and the only thing i had to is
    change the bulbs on it and lube the motors. My 2 favorite mini-lightbars are the highlighter and mini-edge's! Go with the highlighter.
    thanks,

Ultimate Lawns and More,

11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Thanks Ultimate, thast exactly what i wanted to hear! $100. Technically it doesnt help me do my job any better than the one i have now, so I didnt want to spen dn arm and a leg on it ( I would love to have a four or six head hidden strobe system and a roof light, but $$$ doesnt grow on trees.
    Unfortunately the 'white money' only works for us, my dealer didnt want $400 worth of snow, said he had no use for it, lol

12. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Even though I have decided on the Highlighter, I thought this was cool, Its a Highlighter that uses strobe heads instead of rotators!

Highlighter Strobe Minibar
    [​IMG]

13. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Its true you get what you pay for! Been using Whelen strobe bars for years. Never replaced a strobe lamp or power supply. This one has front and rear halogen alternating flashers, rear dual 100 watt clear floods and 4 different strobe patterns, switchable from in the truck.

im000069.jpg

14. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

hey snowybowtie! I heard the strobe highlighter is not really good! Its only got a 2 outlet power supply at 20 watts. I was told
    it wasnt bright. Thats just what i heard. And also, cpss, can i get a picture of the rear of the lightbar on your ford? I was thinking of getting something like that! Can i see some more pics?
    thanks,

Ultimate lawns and more,

15. M.C.A.

M.C.A. Member
    from WI

I have been using this mini lightbar from North American Signal. It's 23" long and has one power supply with two strobes. It's an alternating quad flash with a cigarete lighter cord with switch. Paid about 180.00.

mb625m-a.jpg

16. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Ultimate, the truck is at our shop now, I'll get a picture later today for you.

17. nben

nben Senior Member

Recently picked up a Whelen Patriot LFL 48" bar. It's got a lower profile than the Edge 9M or Ultra series Whelen and I find that it is less obtrusive than my old Edge 9M when I'm not using it. 8 strobes, 4 LED's, front and rear halogen worklights, cruise lights, and switchable flash patterns to boot.:D

I have to agree that you get what you pay for. We have run all Whelen equipment for quite a while now. No, they aren't the cheapest lights money can buy, but we have found the quality is second to none. Make sure that whatever you do buy you have dealer support and a manufacturer that is willing to stand behind their warrantee AND be able to service the unit after the warrantee period is up (strobes especially). Just my $.02:waving:

18. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

nben, any pictures? Ultimate, heres a picture of the back.

im000086.jpg

19. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

CPSS, Thats anice looking truck and a sweet bar! The thing about them for me is that they seem too big, I dont want anything that is too obtrusive when the plow is off. I mount it on my rollbar (soon to finish the headache rack) and dont mind a smaller mini-bar sized light. thats why I liked the highlighter. I would also consider the Whelen edge minibar, but it is almost 4x the cost of the halogen Highlighter. On a super tight budget this year, seemd like a good choice. If I come into any extra money....I may go with a strobe minibar. Thanks for the pics!

20. JML

JML PlowSite.com Veteran

CPSS,

That is a sweet bar.. My friend recently got one just like that, but the back of the bar has two red led brake lights/turn signals, very nice for driving with a trailer.. When we get our new f350, thats what were are gonna get..