1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini In Bed Spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by kpmsnow, Apr 15, 2010.

1. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

I am trying to build a multi purpose anti-icing and de-icing rig. The plan is to try and find a small in bed salter that will leave enough room in the front of the bed "8' bed" to put a good sized tank for liquid. This rig will be doing a lot of demos and I want to be able to either apply straight liquid or flip a couple valves and spray on the spinner to pre-wet the salt. I'm also gonna set it up to hold both liquid calcium chloride and ICE BAN but thats neither here nor there. I'm wondering if there is anyone that can point me in the right direction on locating a compact in bed spreader? Any help or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

snow ex 3000 or even a 6000

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

4. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i think basher nailed that one except if you were think more along the line of spraying and spreading with the sme truck. other then that basher is the winner!

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i dont understand your thought on this one,... maybe you could clearify

I think your saying you want to spread and spray,..i like the idea.

a "mini in bed" spreader? what good does it really do? if its "mini" why not just use a large tailgate salter? at least when the loader comes up to the hpper to fill what, what ever he misses will spill on the ground and not in the bed of the truck. i think really your talking about alot of weight between both units and the materials. so i would almost rule out the fact of use for a pick up truck., that being the case there are lots of tanks desinged to work for dump or flat bed trucks in combination with a full size Vbox.

One idea i would like to see, would be a dump that could spray and spread, but have a untailgate mount, instead of a vbox.

6. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Correct, I am trying to spray and spread. This truck will be used primarily for contractor demos. I want to be able to pull in talk about the liquids that I sell and the different techniques of using liquids ie; prewetting salt or spraying direct on the parking lot. I have ICE BAN and a well brine and the goal is to have a system that will allow me to demo either liquid in any form the customer may want. I'm not too concerned about the weight the truck I have in mind to put it in is a 4 door dually with air bags. It held my 300 gal spray system last season without breaking a sweat. I don't want to use a tailgate system for a couple reasons. One it makes an already long truck that much longer, Two as the truck is going to be kind of a show piece I feel it will look cleaner with an in bed system, Three I can mount the tanks and spreader together and be able to remove them and install them as one unit. The term "mini" was probably a bad term, compact would have been a better word for me to have used to describe what I am looking for. Hope this helps to clear up my previous post. Thanks

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

This unit has 2, 55 gallon tanks and control unit.

http://www.saltdogg.com/Salt_Spreader/LiquidSpraySystems/LS3.html

The rear spray unit from this

http://www.saltdogg.com/Salt_Spreader/LiquidSpraySystems/6198335.html

Could easily be adapted to work with the tanks and would be removeable for use with the hopper spreader.

any of these have removeable chutes allowing you to use it as a spray unit, hard unit or spray hard materials in the chute.

http://www.saltdogg.com/Salt_Spreader/ElectricHopperSpreaders/SHPE1500.html

http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/spreader/s/16
    http://www.snoway.com/index.cfm/act/spreader/s/17

http://www.iceoway.com/

8. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

Well, while sitting around the shop today pondering this project, I came upon a crazy little idea. I have shop that is full of fabrication tools, and I, as well as a couple of my mechanics, have pretty respectable fabrication skills. Why not build my own spreader? I could choose the best mechanical and electrical parts from the spreaders the local equipment dealers offer so I could still get replacement parts easily. I also thought about making the hopper out of lexan, I'd really like feedback on that choice, I think it would look cool, be practical since it would be clear, and its relatively easy to work with. Plus this would also give me the opportunity to develop the in cab scale system I have been thinking about, to monitor how much salt was applied at a particular lot. What do you guys think? Does anyone know of anyone who has built their own spreader?

9. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

sounds crazy man!!!!!!

10. kpmsnow

kpmsnow Senior Member
    from Elkhart

HA, yeah it is kinda crazy but I went ahead and started anyway. I have the steel at the shop now and I ordered the lexan (should be in the end of next week). I will attach pictures to this post as the project progresses. I really do value any and all input, be it negative or positive so feel free to chime in with whatever crosses your mind. :salute:

11. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Update on the build?