1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Edge Pattern?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by plowguy43, Aug 23, 2010.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Hey guys, I got a basic Whelen Mini Edge that has outter strobes and that's it. It currently has a positive and negative wire that powers it and it has one flash pattern. Is there a way to get more patters (open it up and find the pattern wire?) Or were there different versions of this light and I'm pretty stuck unless I upgrade the power supply? Either way no big deal but I'd like to know what kinda options it has. Thanks
  2. plowguy43

Ok- I took it apart and this is the numbers I found:

Looks like it was "refurbished" by ranger services- all strobes are beig held in by twist ties you'd find on a bag of bread LOL. Parts are all whelen and from 1990. At least shows they are reliable.

Anyways, I appreciate the help if someone can tell me more about this power supply.
  3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

well first off ranger services is a joke .... second look at the power supply and see if its a 2x6 or SL6 or EB6 .... then i tell you want wire is should be .... hope you didnt pay over 200 for it ..... all they do is take old bars and recustomize the bar with other used parts ...
  4. TBElectric

TBElectric Junior Member

Wow. Kind of OT but it involves Ranger Services(m.r. debaker on ebay). I just bought amp connectors/pins off him on ebay. His ad title says "NEW" pins and connectors, then way down in the listing it says used connectors with new pins. I know I should have proof read the entire ad but thought since the title said new that everything was new. Long story short I left neutral feedback since some of the connectors were VERY used and the pins/connectors were all thrown in a ziplock bag and some pins got bent. He is actually trying to sue me for lible. This is a heads up for anyone thinking of dealing with him. I have it in writing for anyone who wants to read the message he sent me that if anyone on ebay leaves him anything other than positive feedback that is what he will do?(sue for lible).

Attached Files:

5. plowguy43

Interesting. I didn't pay anything for it, I traded a CPS690 power supply and used bulbs for it so little money invested.

Yes its all used stuff from 1990 in it (all the whelen tags are on it. I thought it was funny when I saw the bulbs sliding around and noticed the tie's from a bread bag holding them in place.

As for the power supply- it has 4 outlets/plugs for the lights, and 2 plugs for the power. The colors on the power side are- 2 black (1 is a 15amp fused power), 1 purple, 1 blue, 1 green. All of the colored wires and the power wire are spliced together (making it a 1 positive 1 negative hookup). So there are no remaining wires for me to check. I'll try to post up a picture.
  6. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

look for a white wire leading into one of the harnesses that leads out of of light bar. (might need to remove lenses) should be your pattern changer. If you find this wire, apply 12v while lightbar is on. Does your bar have Scan-Lock? Best bet is to call Whelen with serial numbers.
  7. plowguy43

There is no white wire, just the ones listed. I have a feeling I'm stuck with a double flash. Can you guys tell me what to look for to replace this power supply so I can add more options?
  8. DrakeSabitch

DrakeSabitch Senior Member

off the top of my head you can look for an external one, or find a used ScanLock supply, i think... But if i was in your shoes i would just call Whelen if you havent already and see what they say. You may be stuck, if so i'de look for a better Edge bar. Good luck
  9. plowguy43

Here is a picture of the power supply. Hope this helps because there is no model number or anything on it- just what I posted above.