1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mini Bars work/trakdown light question.

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 2_Djinn, Oct 21, 2012.

1. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Hey guys, I am wondering who uses their take down lights as back up or work lights and how well they work for that application. Im not a lighting fanatic but my truck came with hide-a-ways (two in each taillight and one in each running light) and my Federal signal highlighter has seen better days. The biggest factor that has me looking at mini bars is having work lights but its hard to tell how bright they are etc. Figured the lighting fanatics here would have the info thats out there. :drinkup:

I was looking at this one today...thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-STROBE-SH..._Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item4608e02c55

2. nmsnow

nmsnow Junior Member

That will probably do the trick. Anything LED with work lights, like a Mini-Justice or Mini-Scorpion will cost you near triple. I don't trust any of the knock off China work lights, they are just steady-burn white warning modules most of the time, so very poor light output.

3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

No I think you'd be better off getting LED

4. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I posted up the ebay link as an example of what im looking for, Sure would be nice on the those long wooded drives to throw on all the work lights and see what im doing.

Boss- What do you run and what would you recommend ?

5. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

The takedowns are bright but the halogen bulbs also draw huge power. I guess the question needs to be asked, are you looking for more amber warning power or flood lighting power to see where you are going?

They only issue I see with the above linked bar, not that your getting that specific one, is that the alley lights dont provide any amber warning to the sides. That bar is really strictly offering amber warning front and rear as well as the possibility of two of the takedowns "strobing" back and forth until they are activated by an additional button to become slow burn or stay on for flood lighting, still facing forward. I'd try and see if you could get those particular strobing lights that are either facing forward or back switched to the end caps so that you have the abilities to have them offer white strobing warning to the sides and then turn to slow burn or always on when you need them to see off to either side of the truck.

Dont discount a small bar such as the one above and maybe some extra side amber warning as well. Might be easier than swapping the lights around. On the same token, it might just be easier to grab some small flood lights as well and place them where you'd like the light.

6. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Ive though about this route as well, and the current draw crossed my mind as well. What kinda draw do think I would see with all the work lights on with the above bar? Is it possible to have a amber light on the side AND a alley light ?

thanks guys

7. nmsnow

nmsnow Junior Member

The above mentioned bar has linear strobes on the end with a clear lens. So that's plenty of warning. If you contact the seller, who specializes in custom made lights, he can more than likely add alley lights and / or provide amber lenses on the ends.

As far as halogen lights drawing a lot of power, I wouldn't worry about it. Your truck will more than likely be running when you are using them. Halogen work lights have been used for decades without issues.

8. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

As mentioned, you'd have to buy a new cover for the ends to replace the clear lens and they run about $25 a piece. Definitely contact the guy on ebay and see if he can work the amber lenses into the deal instead of the clears.

Also, in order to get the most out of this bar and ensure that it will function the way that you want, you'll want to get a controller of some sort to allow you to turn the strobing clears to fast burn or steady ie. creating a spot light and back to strobe. You dont need anything to fancy but it does add to the cost.

I'd do led whenever I can just for the simple reason that they will last longer, generally are brighter as long as you get at least the generation 3, and will draw less power from your charging system. Yes its true that it probably not THAT big of a deal but your plow is drawing a tremendous amount as it is, Im guessing enough to dim your headlights unless you've upgraded something, and its just adding more fuel to the fire if you dont have too. Try checking craiglist for a bar, there are usually quite a few this time of year with people wanting to upgrade.

One other thing to consider is the legalities of running strobing clear anything. Some states allow it, some dont. You might want to look into that.

9. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

personally I would do LED they last much longer (usually 50,000+ hours) and draw less power, however, they're not as bright. whelen makes a light called Par 36, that sells for about 200$ I believe they've got an economy version as well. Now if you're a super die hard fan and just want to see everything behind you, buy a rigid industries e-series light. That will provide you with superior light, but you'll pay a pretty penny, 700$ for a 20" bar, they come in colors and you can add an flasher module to them as we'll.. If you're looking for a combo, you will probaby have better luck with sho me/ able 2.
    Best of luck
    Regards