1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mini bar and leds?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by FSLC, Dec 4, 2012.

1. FSLC

FSLC Member
    from KC, Mo.

I am currently running a star strobe 360 beacon, a nas traffic assist, and two srobe hide awayys and want to upgrade.ussmileyflagussmileyflagI want to choose between 3 mini bars:
    1. whelen responder con 3 amber.
    2. Whelen 16" century amber.
    3. Star halo series

I also have a few surface mount leds in mind:
    1. sirennet snl3sn
    2. Whelen 500 smart led
    3. nova slultra

Let me know what you guys think.
  2. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Buy from SNM. I have no experience with any of the items you listed, but I have seen the responder on various vehicles, and they work great.

I have an axxixtech mini bar, not the tiny one on SNM but the bigger one, and it works great too. Not a bad price either. Then I stuck two mini falcons behind my rear seats headrests against my rear window and they give great light output towards the rear. I didnt see the sense in getting a 4-6 strobe kit and having two in the front if people wont see them.
  3. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Star products since they're right down the road from me and generally make pretty good stuff. Quite honestly though, that Halo mini bar is pretty weak - as are most of the "round" LED lights I've seen. (The NYSDOT has converted most of their plow trucks from rotators to round LEDs and they're absolutely pathetic.) There are strobe and rotator versions of that same mini bar that are both significantly less expensive and significantly brighter.

So of the mini bars you've noted, I'd have to recommend either of the Whelen products over the Star.
  4. 07F-250V10

07F-250V10 Senior Member

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Siren net is perfectly fine to purchase stuff from. I have used them many times before. As well as snm. A lot of the "siren net brand lights" are actually made from sound off so you know its not a Chinese knock off.
  6. fairwaymowing

fairwaymowing Member

7. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

8. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

i just installed a 16" Whelen Mini-Century, and all i can say is that for the money it is extremely bright. I havent used it in the snow, but i used it in my shop with the overhead lights on and it still flashed off the walls and ceiling. plus it was a great price from strobes n more $60 cheaper than siren for the model i got, and free shipping with plowsite code
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  9. FSLC

FSLC Member
    from KC, Mo.

DO you have a video of the mini century on your truck?
  10. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

no, but i can try to get one tomorrow or this weekend.
  11. FSLC

FSLC Member
    from KC, Mo.

Thanks that would be great!
  12. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

13. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

14. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

I would go with the responder with the linear 500 modules as its twice as bright as the CON3 model and better off axis output. Of the other lights I'd go with the E4s or Whelen TIR3 both are much brighter than the ones you noted and good lights.
  15. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Axixtech Falcon (i think thats the name) is a nice bar. I have that one on my truck. Lots of patterns and bright.
  16. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

I'll second what 90plow said.
    I run this unit on my truck and always get questions and comments about where I got it and how bright it is. http://www.sirennet.com/loledmibar.html

I'm going to upgrade to this one come spring... Even brighter and better flash patterns.

Able2/SHO-ME makes a damn fine product.
  17. FSLC

FSLC Member
    from KC, Mo.

Thanks for the video i deffinately like that bar!
  18. Roundhammer

Roundhammer Member

My two cents..

Whelen products are a you get what you pay for item.

I have had ZERO problems with mine. Ions/Linz6 and a Amber responder LP..all the linear Technology is CRAZY bright!

But up to you and your budget/ needs.

Hope it helps!

19. Bossman97

Bossman97 Junior Member
    from 48315

20. JLsDmax

JLsDmax Senior Member

I like mine. Reasonably priced, pretty bright