1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

mini bagged salt storage

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by rock18201, Dec 22, 2010.

1. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

I use these at a few of our bigger accounts to store extra bags of calcium or other specialty deicers incase of refeeze or for sidewalks

2. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

3. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Is it a Rubbermaid shed or another brand? It looks pretty durable.

We used to do the same thing to house our blowers, but it's just way easier (for me) to just carry them in the back of the truck instead of fighting with ill fitting doors and frozen locks.
  4. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Good idea, where did you buy those and how much?

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

seems like a good plan
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Good Idea. We actually buy 5gal buckets and put our logo on them and leave them outside commercial account entrances. It's a great marketing tool, and covers the most used route into the building even when you are not there. the only thing is try to leave them inside or else they tend to walk away.
  7. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

So by leaving a bucket at the entrance does the customer spread it or do you. Other than the marketing, I dont think you would leave the deicer there if you were not the one putting it down.

I ask only because one of my customers asks for a bag by their front door, but they also spread it.
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I put buckets by the doors of my customers and fill them up. They to also have our logo on them and number. I use the buckets when I am there and they use them if they need throw a little salt down and I charge them per bag at the end of the month.The more they want to use the happier I am as I am making money for just keeping it filled up. They also appreciate knowing that they will always have salt on hand at all main entrances throughout the day.
  9. rock18201

rock18201 Member
    from NEPA

UPDATE: while transporting this to its location strap came off blew off truck and was pretty much destroyed. LOL to answer the question yes it sucks we got them at lowes. made by suncast. I may just get the big whit runnermade garbage cans and put our logo on those doubt they will get feet and walk away if filled they will be too heavy.
  10. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Exactly what burkarts said. It's cheap insurance for us and the client especially during the day. We supply the buckets and charge them to replace the product. If the entrance even remotely becomes icy while we are doing rounds, the client can sprinkle a little until we do a check up.
  11. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Thanks for the great idea-as they say learn something new everyday! :salute:
  12. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

Cool idea. We have small (2'x2') boxes w/ foot levers that open the tops like a garbage can and a hand scoop in them. We put them by all of our industrial accounts doors and just keep them full of ice melt. The people that work there spread it as needed and we also use them when needed. It works really well and the entrances are normally salted before we even get there.
  13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i know ups has the garbage cans by entrances filled with salt and a spreader for them o use like you guys were saying.