1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Mingling amongst the locals...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnoJob67, Oct 7, 2001.

1. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I have been on a "field trip" on and off over the last few days. I have spoken to two snow contractors in the last couple of days. Both visits were valuable in their own way.

Neither contractor is in my immediate area. Do any of you approach fellow contractors in your market area and discuss business? I am going to be approaching other contractors in my area since I am going to need some reliable local subcontractors. However, I would like to talk to others about pricing, etc. I just wonder how many of you have had candid conversations with your peers? One contractor I have talked with takes place in a "workshop" where they meet maybe once or twice a year and discuss their sales figures, profits, etc.

It just seems that networking and sharing things (maybe on a little more supeficial level than the example above) could benefit everyone involved. I'd appreciate hearing from some successful contractors who have gotten positive results from networking with locals. Buddies of yours that plow don't qualify as networking contacts by my definition. Although having a buddy who plow could never hurt either!

:D

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I guess it differs if your "buddy" runs a snow plowing business as opposed to just plowing here and there. I have one or two in my area that I can trust to speak candidly with but I always watch my back, so to speak.
    Of course we don't always have enough snow to go around down here in Dayton, Ohio.

Bruce

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

At this point, I can't refer to myself as a "successful contractor" since this will be my first season plowing "for-hire" and I will be working as a sub.

However, networking with local contractors HAS been worthwhile: A successful contractor in a neighbouring community has helped answer my many questions in areas such as quoting, sub rates and contracts.

And, the people who I have spoken to about subbing for them this winter I have been in contact with through my full-time job in the welding industry, (you guessed it - repaired their plows! :D ) I've "talked plowing" with them on a regular basis and been in touch regarding my plans for the snow biz.

So I would say it has been worth it. At the same time, Bruce makes a good point about the "watch your back" factor - there are also some around my area with whom I would NOT be overly free with information.