1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

min. hp for a 14" pusher

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Jay brown, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

what is the min HP needed on a FARM TRACTOR for a 14-16' pusher. 2 wheel ok or is MFWA a must. anyone every use a 4x4 "field tractor"? these are usually dirt cheep HP compared to MFWA. not really going to buy anything, just something to stimulate my mind.
  2. Jay brown

tried to edit the title :eek: 14' not 14" a hampster wheel would push a 14"er
  3. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

I would say its more the overall tractor size and wieght not just H.P.

A 14' Protech pusher can hold about 15 yds of snow....that's a lot of wieght.

I would be wanting a Deere 6000 series or more likely 7000 to effectively push that size pusher. Any thing less would not have the size wieght and yes....Horsepower...to move a full pass particularly if the snow was wet and heavy.

Horsepower range 125-200+ I would say.

Other issue with tractors will be traction...tires...Ag tires are not great on pavement and chaining them up can be detrimental to the pavement.

4. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

oh yeah 4 wheel drive is a must...2 wheel drive will not get the job done when the going gets tough.
  5. Jay brown

4 wheel drive too big or MFWA?
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've plowed with both and they both work fine. We have 14 ft pushers on our 150 hp tractors and 12ft's on our 95 hp ones. 65hp will push a 12 ft fairly well but we like having the extra power. We have 14 ft power angle blades on 95 hp tractors to and they work really well. We run 16ft's on a JD 8220 and a Case 255. We use to run a 19 ft on the 255 but in real big storms we couldn't get traction, so we decided 16 ft was are best choice. When buying a tractor, the transmission is what your paying for. Left hand reverser is best if you can get it and a hydraulic clutch. You can plow snow with all of them but most older tractors are made for going forward in the same gear,
  7. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

I've plowed with alot of farm tractors over the years. Ok when I was a kid, I can't even imagine how many times my left leg would push that stiff clutch in then grind a little reverse ! Thousands of times I would guess. My left leg is still bigger than the right !! You're right on cheap HP in the used 4X4 ag market. Most will be able to handle a 16' pusher I would suppose. We ran a 16' dozer on a JD 8870. I think the tractor could handle twice that, never knew the plow was out there (had to watch curbs big time!) The older tractors can be a pain in the a** to change from forward to reverse ( especially thousands of times), and although they articulate they still have large turning radius. Probably work ok in very large lots. I've seen used 200 HP 4x4's (non JD) in good shape for 15K or less. JD always more $ but hold value well. Another option would be smaller FWA (120HP) more maneuverable and can carry a drag 3pt. blade on rear w/loader or dozer on front. The main thing to remember is these tractors are designed to be put in 1 gear and go around the field all day in circles. Wheel loaders are made to turn tight and change direction easily. But $$ is $$ gotta plow with what ya got and what ya can afford.
  8. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Go to www.snopusher.com

Pro-Tech has an application guide that should help you determine what size of pusher will fit.

Pushing a 12' pusher with a 65hp tractor? How does that work?
  9. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

I'd go with no less than 150 PTO HP and MFWD. 2wd is more than likely useless, as you need help to turn them on dry pavement sometimes.
    If you are thinking 4WD articulated machines, Massey Ferguson made the 4800, 4840, and 4880 in the 1980's and they are monster machines. You can pick them up for about $15,000 and they will never die. No belt drives like the old 1805 machines. Not to mention, these machines weight ALOT and can be loaded up to about 40,000lbs with iron weight or loaded tires. Good ol' Cummins 903 packs a massive punch and hydraulics are fairly impressive given the age of these machines. Quite manouverable if you ask me, quite nimble when equipped with singles.

10. Jay brown

found one for you or me.....