1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

million dollar hiway

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wirenut, Jan 13, 2010.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

anyone here work the million dollar hiway? just saw a special on it. no chance for mistakes there..

2. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

nope, just the $2.50 highway....

3. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

Where is it? southwest Colorado?

4. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

nj tp? .//...

5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

u.s rt 550.

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Are you talking about the massive superhighway from Mexico to Canada that is going to be like twelve lanes and designed to bring imported goods into our country using unregulated foreign trucks and goods which come into port on foreign soil thereby avoiding union wages for our longshoreman or fair wages for anyone?

7. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Ive driven it, but dont know of anyone who plows it. Another member posted this, last year.

8. snowbrothers101

snowbrothers101 Senior Member

Big Acres, Angry much?

9. big acres

big acres Senior Member

It has been a rough last few weeks 101...

Wow... checked out the other thread -holy schmidt! I do have a property with a guard rail... but it's only a 10ft drop.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  10. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

big acres. is that hwy true. My buddy said something like that but I thought he was full of it. are they really going to build a road from mexico to canada?

11. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Not to highjack the thread... I actually thought he was referring to this by million dollar highway.

Google "superhighway"... you will have no shortage of reading.

OR

Go to: http://www.nascocorridor.com/

They are the coalition FOR the corridor, referring to the "North American Economy" before ther "U.S. Economy".... one big contiental nation folks.

101... On second thought, this does make me angry and it should make you angry too.

12. fairrpe86

fairrpe86 Senior Member

Million dollar highway is an awesome road and beautiful scenery, but its also closed quite a bit during the winter...for good reason too.

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

is that the road that goes out of telluride CO? the mass pike in MA east of 128 into Boston is also known as the million dollar hi-way. Cost when made was the highest ever for a hi-way at the time, @ 1 Million/mile.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  14. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

If only more americans had the brains like you to see it for what it is.

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

:dizzy:You watch to much FOX news

There is already a hi-way from Mexico to Canada ... its interstate 25 from El Paso to Montana, 90 west to 15 into Canada.

"there" not going to build a 12 lane road, whos going to pay to build it? (dont say the tax payer) it wont fly, no senator is going to vote money for it when we already have a road.

O ya... the same people that want doctors to talk old people into hary kary.:dizzy:

16. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

The Million Dollar Highway is the section of US HWY 550 (from Bernallio, New Mexico [Albuquerque] to Montrose, CO) that is between Silverton and Ouray, CO (both North of Durango). In the 1880s the original road was etched out of the montains by HAND! As with many other labor intensive engineering feats of the West, it was made with a Chinese immagrent labor force. It was made to be a toll road to get silver from the mines to the railroad. The roads eventually were improved to US highway standards (in the 1920s). If I remember correctly it was the most expensive US highway project (for such a short stretch) to date, at the time of it's construction. The origin of the name is not really clear. The only people to plow that road are C-DOT workers. The area is very avalanche prone. There are several monuments to highway workers who have perished while plowing the road. They even have snow shoots to try and keep most of the avalanches off of the road. They have kept the road open year round. This year, however, they have decided to stop shooting the avalanche areas and have warned that the road may not be as accessable (this winter) as it has been in the past. I think it's a budgetary thing because I have noticed that they are not using mag. on the roads like they used to.
    That link (to the older post) with the photos are just South of Ouray. They don't do justice to the drop off that is there. If you drop over the edge you will surely die. Many places along that stretch is a cliff. If you look at the one picture of the old jeep (again in that older post) that is a cropped photo (notice how straight the edge of the cliff is). I also saw Ophir pass mentioned. That pass is not paved but is not very difficult to get over anymore. I took a Pontiac Grand Prix over that in the late 80s.
    One of the things I love about living here is the rich history of the area. There is another mountain pass to the East of Durango (Wolf Creek Pass) that gets over 450" of precip. annually.

17. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I forgot to mention...I was in a gas station in Silverton once and saw a very interesting picture. It was of a jeep going over Ophir pass ( I think it was in the 70s) in the spring. The interesting thing about the picture (and why I know it was in the spring) was that the jeep was photoed in between (2) vertical walls of snow that are about 20' tall. The road was cut out, by big dozers (same as every spring) down to the road bed. My description does not adequately describe the photo. It was very dramatic.

18. hoskm01

hoskm01 Senior Member
    from AZ

Ophir Pass is a fun road, but you're right, not too challenging. Black Bear is another fun one, a bit more challenging and needing more than a Grand Prix.

Ophir Pass in June, from Fed gvt. site.

[​IMG]

19. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Agreed. This photo is similar to the one I was describing, only newer and the snow banks are not quite as high. As you can see that's a lot of snow to move to open up the road. That's not the only one they "punch open" in the spring. These are actually county roads and the county crews open them up for tourism cocerns. They are in the national forest but the counties lay claim to them in an attempt to have some control. Hooray for politics! Are you from this area or do you just visit? Many might think that the snow would be gone by then. In truth we still get snow (even in July) at those elevations. There are other passes that don't even get openned up until late July or August.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  20. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

Was that the show "Dangerous Drives-Million Dollar Highway? If so, the motorcycle riders you saw were freinds of mine.