1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Milky fluid in pump

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fireboy6413, Jan 7, 2010.

1. fireboy6413

fireboy6413 Senior Member

I must have some water in my fluid in my pump, I checked it the other day and noticed its not full, and the fluid is milky, any ideas on why water would be getting in their. is this something I should worry about, its an 2008 pro plus 8.6

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

my guess is motor seal and/or ram wiper/seal.

3. fireboy6413

but plow is brand new, the guy I bought it off of said he never used it, and it wasn't, Ive only used it 2 so far
    do you think I should drain the fluid,

4. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

seals may be dried out. Try draining and refilling it, use it and then reckeck it.

5. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

My old uni mount would have strawberry milk consistantly, ended up it was coming in through the cylinder wipers.

6. fireboy6413

im gonna drain it tomorrow then refill it and keep an I on it, whats a quart of western fluid going for now a days any one know

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Should be under $10 a quart, but you will need more than one. If your going to do, it do it rite. Take the hoses of the turn cylinders and work the plow back and forth to drain them too. Then give a QUICK blip right then left on the pump to clear the hoses too. Now your drained! But need to find out where the water is coming in to really fix the problem.

8. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

wanna say like $7/qt....so not something you wanna make a habit of repacing all the time, long run cheaper to flush and fix problem;)

9. fireboy6413

Yeh im just gonna drain and see if it persists, if so then ill take it in to have checked. Thanks guys

10. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you drain the fluid, make sure you flush the system completely, clean the screen out good. Brake cleaner with a air gun works great. DO NOT use a rag inside the unit!!!

11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Power units can collect mositure through normal condensation while sitting unused during the other 3 seasons.

12. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yup, that's why it's a great PM thing to flush the system before the snow flies:) Goes pretty quickly after you do it a few times, we just use buckets and hoses to push out old fluid from the rams and suck new fluids in at the same time, cycle them twice and good to go, top off with new, manipulate everything alot to work out bubbles, retop off and it's golden.

Kind of the same prinicpal used to change ALL the fluid in an auto tranny, take lines off tranny, output into big empty bucket, input into a fresh bucket of ATF, have buddy start the vehicle and watch them exchange, this way the convertor gets completely flushed as well....i'm not big into using chems since it seems the majority of folks seem to have worse problems after varnish lossens and clogs passages.

13. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

if need i have a mechanic who can come to you to service it.