1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Milking Accounts??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HALH VT, Mar 1, 2011.

1. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Yesterday I put the wing back on and today I went around and widened/shelfed the banks on all my long residential driveways and private roads.

Now, if it doesn't snow any more, I will be a scum sucking dirtbag for milking my accounts.

If I hadn't done it, and we got another big dump, some of them would have to be opened up with heavy equipment at an extortionate price, and I would be a moron for not being prepared, and a scum sucking dirtbag for charging whatever I did to get out of the mess.

What kind of scum sucking dirtbag would you rather be?

Number one is way better for me, as digging my way out of a disaster is not nearly as much fun as it was when I was nineteen, and Dad had to deal with the customers.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A scumbag is someone who charges for the work and didn't do it.
  3. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

^ Agreed we moved and stacked snow at some lots the last week in case of more snow. You got to do what you think is the best for you and the customers with the giving conditions.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depending on your specific case you could consult the customer(s) for their input. That's how I handle it- I give them the option of ok'ing me to do the extra cleanup work now for X charge, doing nothing and wait until the next storm which may necessitate special circumstances and big dollars, or (because there are always some for the last minute) last minute before with a forecast for a big storm scrambling to push back and paying a bit more with no guarantee it can be done because of the time crunch. I had to do that this year with a few clients- they chose to wait for the next storm which so far has worked out fine. Lots of melting and little new accumulation to this point from then.
  5. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

Maybe you could offer to refund a percentage of the cost if it doesn't snow anymore. That way, you're not losing out but the customer thinks they're getting something back. I hate feeling like I'm milking anyone, especially this year. Our combined January/February snowfall was the highest ever recorded so they've all spent alot of money this year. I even went out after a 2 inch slush storm that was gonna freeze and scraped everyone clean. It was quick and easy and I didn't leave a bill. Some paid, some didn't but I knew if I waited for them all to get home from work to decide if it needed to be done, it'd be frozen solid. I considered it a "thank you for your business" outing.
  6. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I always tell them (when they whine) "you tell me what the weather is going to do and I"ll adjust my decision accordingly. Of course, if you're wrong..........."

It's my business and my job, I make the best decision possible at the time given the information and the lying weather forecasters. there is nothing else I can do.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

For additional work, I always get an ok from the customer in writing. I have never had a problem with this system untill this year. We had ran out of room on 3 accounts, I contacted the customer, told them the options, and 2 of them decided to have me bring in my loader to move snow. Low and behold the next week, we warmed up to 60 degrees, and melted 90% of the snow on the ground. So in trade for them allowing me to do work, that didn't end up needing to be done, I washed out the loader service in trade for a brand spanking new 3 year contract. It worked out well for me, and the customer. By the way both of these customers we new to me this year, and only signed a 1 year contract due to being new businesses. Now I have them wrapped up for the next 3 years as well.
  8. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

I think that folks around here generally expect that you will push back banks at least once during the season. Most of the guy's right in my area will do it with a tractor, but if you've got a wing blade, more power to ya.

If anybody gives ya hell, remind 'em that historically vt gets over a foot during march.
  9. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

Well played, I like the way you think.
  10. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Of course they signed a new 3 year contract, you gave them free work. Now they will expect that year after year. Do you think that they would not have signed with you again, if you had not gave them a free service?
  11. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

or you can just tell them what my boss would tell them, ths weekend we will be back because we have to move banks and get ready for more snow sence we got hammered this year. If you dont want us to we might not be able to service you the next time around because we will have broken equetment from over working it!
  12. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Profit is not a dirty word. Its not anybody's fault that it snows. Do the work, charge accordingly. Theres nothing scumbaggish in that. Do not for any reason refund, nobody will refund your insurance, labor costs, fuel, why would you refund on work done. I don't get a refund if I don't finish a meal at a restaurant. Why are people so afraid to make money, we all have to make a living.
  13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

The bottom line is the extra work should have been discussed and approved by the customer first. No one knows what the weather will bring. Its a gamble either way. Leave the decision to the customer. They are paying for it.
  14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if we do work....we charge
  15. Rc2505

I am sure they would have resigned with me. The point I am making though is They made the decesion to move the piles, and stack them back further. It just happened to warm up and melt the snow mostly off. Now instead of then feeling like they paid for something they didn't need, even though it was thier decesion, my costs to preform the loader service was about $150.00 per lot, now instead of them paying for a $450.00 bill, they got a 3 year deal. So basically if they would have resigned or not it cost me 300 dollars to secure $30,000.00 dollars of work for the next 3 years. So for $300.00 dollars I will get $90,000.00. I feel thats a fair trade anyday.
  16. KSikkema

KSikkema Senior Member

Is that like winning the lottery?
  17. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

And for $900 in your bank account,you would still have that future $90K coming in.Business is business,I don't buy your philosophy,sorry.
  18. Jelinek61

Jelinek61 Senior Member

I get his logic. He gets the customer to sign for three years and they are more likely to tell him "do whatever it takes" because people love "free stuff". If the customer was going to take him anyway i guess the idea kinda goes down the drain but if they were going to leave after one year he made a good deal.
  19. Rc2505

Even if they were going to resign, I still consider it a great deal. To update everyone I just got 2 new accounts for next year off a recomendation from 1 of these two accounts that I made a deal with. We inked the contracts today, and now I am looking for another truck, and driver for next season already. I can't wait till the snow is done, and the guys who can't make it start selling trucks cheap.
  20. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

This is how I would handle it. It's their money let it be their choice especially this late in the season we may get more snow but we may get a lot of melting between now and then.

I would be pissed if some one just decided I needed "extra" service and charged me for it with out asking me, even if I did need it.

Edit: All that being said, in general if you do the work you need to get paid. There are very few situations where free work is warranted, usually in situations where you can't bill what its really worth to you.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011