1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Military Truck Setup

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Seabee15, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

So I have my 86' Chevy Military Truck (M1008 5/4Ton).

I've been calling around to get a plow for it. What I'm looking for is a entry level plow, (7'6 or 8) that doesn't mount between the grill and bumper (so i can have the "not a plow truck" look in the summer)

Talked to a salesman today he quoted me $2200 for a used Meyer 7'6 EZ mount system (with E47 pump) installed with a "1st season" seasonal warranty. How does that sound? Fair?

let me know.

If not, I'm in the upstate (Rochester NY) area if anyone knows any better deals.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not the optimum unit for the truck but workable and $2200 for a working plow installed with a one season warranty is a very fair deal. 7.5 is a little narrow for your truck but if it becomes an issue you can add aftermarket wings I'd offer a couple dollars more if they would upgrade to a E-60 pump with the dual terminal motor .

3. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

I hear ya there... he said a E60 would go for $200 more.,.are they really worth it? whats the downfall to a E47?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

It's faster and the motor is more durable.

5. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

how are Arctic Snow Plows??? i have a guy selling one for 550

6. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

If its a 5/4 ton, I would be looking at hanging an 8'6" or even a 9' on the front of it

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I generaly dont like to badmouth products.

I have used fisher plows for 24 years and Boss plows for 3 years and I've worked on my friends Meyers plow for 8 years. I would not own a Meyers plow if you gave it to me. He has constant problems with the pump and motor. I dont know if they changed there mounting system but it is a real PITA.

JMO

8. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

any pics of the rig? keep your eye on c/l i just gave one away that would of fit perfect

9. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

look for a fisher in the summer and you can just unbolt the plow lights frame

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Lets see this truck. If it's as heavy as I'm thinking, you got to start dreaming bigger. Do you have any plow experience? Ever thought of a V or Power plow?

11. second income

second income Member

Too much truck for a standard duty 7.6 meyer go with a c-8 at minimum. Stay with red plows, stronger faster and more durable and price is not much different